The City of Nanaimo is getting ready to expand its automated garbage collection to the rest of the city. City of Nanaimo photo

Names picked for Nanaimo’s new automated garbage trucks

Optimus Grime and other new trucks will provide automated pickup to more homes starting in July

Optimus Grime and Harbour City Crusher will join the fleet of automated garbage trucks clearing waste from the curbside this summer.

The names of six new automated trucks were revealed during Public Works Day on Wednesday as the city gets ready to expand the Sort Toss Roll program to the rest of Nanaimo this July.

Mayor Bill McKay told a crowd of more than 300 students, parents and teachers, that the trucks will bear the names Optimus Grime, Waste Warrior, Obi-One-Can Only, Harbour City Crusher, Arm-a-gettin’ and Crushasaurus Rex.

The names were chosen in last year’s contest, which saw about 1,500 entries.

RELATED: Trash-O-Saurus Rex a frontrunner in Nanaimo’s garbage truck naming contest

RELATED: City introduces new garbage trucks Trash-O-Saurus Rex and Mommy

RELATED: City of Nanaimo’s garbage collection rates could change again

The city announced in 2017 that the first two trucks in the city’s automated collection service would be called Mommy and Trash-O-Saurus. The service started in Central Nanaimo and come July, homes in south and north Nanaimo will also get automated pick up.

Six trucks to round out the fleet are currently en route.

Residents poised to get automated collection service can learn more about it until July 13 by visiting the Nanaimo Aquatic Centre, the City of Nanaimo Service and Resource Centre, Bowen Park activity centre and Oliver Woods Community Centre. New carts will be delivered to homes between June 11 and July 21, along with an information package on how to use them.

Everyone in Nanaimo will get a new waste collection schedule next month.

More information can be found at www.nanaimo.ca/goto/SortTossRoll or by calling the Sort Toss Roll hotline on 250-756-5309 or e-mailing SortTossRoll@nanaimo.ca.

A naming ceremony for the six trucks is expected once the vehicles arrive.



news@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Provincial funding will help Regional District of Nanaimo create poverty reduction strategy

RDN partnering with member municipalities and Islands Trust on regional study

Search and rescue crews help locate 62-year-old Nanoose Bay mountain biker

RCMP: Man got lost on trail and did right thing by calling for assistance

Beefs & Bouquets, June 3

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Parcel stolen from front porch, Nanaimo RCMP looking for suspect

Unidentified woman allegedly stole package containing $400 smart watch

Police look for suspect after alleged assault at gas station in Nanaimo

Victim says he was punched in the head several times in late April at business in South Wellington

If Trudeau won’t stand up to Trump, how will regular people: Singh

Trudeau did not directly answer a question about Trump’s actions amid protests

22 new COVID-19 test-positives, one death following days of low case counts in B.C.

Health officials urged British Columbians to ‘stand together while staying apart’

John Horgan says COVID-19 restrictions won’t be eased regionally

B.C. Liberals urge ‘tailored’ response based on infections

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Young killer whale untangles itself from trap line off Nanaimo’s Rocky Point

DFO marine mammal rescue unit was en route as whale broke free from prawn trap line

Feds get failing grade for lack of action plan on anniversary of MMIWG report

‘Instead of a National Action Plan, we have been left with a Lack-of-Action Plan’

B.C. ranchers, lodge operators say Indigenous land title shuts them out

Tsilhqot’in jurisdiction affects grazing, access to private property

As two B.C. offices see outbreaks, Dr. Henry warns tests don’t replace other measures

Physical distancing, PPE and sanitizing remain key to reduce COVID-19 spread

Most Read