City of Nanaimo staff provided an update on automated garbage collection at Monday’s council meeting at the Vancouver Island Conference Centre, and advised of a complication with Phase 2 implementation. (NEWS BULLETIN file)

City of Nanaimo’s garbage collection rates could change again

City staff advises council about a complication with Phase 2 implementation

Garbage collection user fees, recently raised to $165, could change again.

City of Nanaimo staff provided an update on automated garbage collection at Monday’s council meeting at the Vancouver Island Conference Centre, and advised of a complication with Phase 2 implementation.

Tracy Samra, chief administrative officer, said city staff learned in October that an anticipated contract wasn’t in place with Nanaimo Organic Waste, which processes kitchen and yard waste. She said she’s been told the company is near capacity now and would require equipment and facility upgrades to be able to handle kitchen and yard waste for the whole city.

“Staff are now looking at alternatives and costing out what the impact of the delivery of co-mingled [kitchen and] yard waste would be,” Samra said. “Where would we deliver it? What would the cost be? … We’re not able to answer that with any precision at this time.”

She said an implementation plan on automated solid waste collection, expected this spring, will include an update regarding user fees.

“Depending on how the contingency plans are and the metrics that we get from Phase 1, looking at Phase 2, there may be a change to the user rates,” Samra said.

The city’s 2018-2022 draft financial plan indicated user fees would be reduced to $130 in 2019.

Councillors were asked if they would support a garbage rate hike, and councillors Bill Bestwick and Sheryl Armstrong didn’t wish to answer a hypothetical question.

“Until we see that report, we don’t know if it’s going to go up or go down,” Armstrong said.

Coun. Diane Brennan also said she would defer making a decision until she’s seen the report, but said she’s not a fan of user fees.

“I think they’re inherently unfair,” she said. “It doesn’t matter if you’re rich or you’re poor, you’re at the same cost for essential services. That’s not typically the way Canadians see provision of services.”

Coun. Jerry Hong said he’s not in favour of the city collecting recycling or yard waste and said he won’t support an adjustment to user fees unless it’s a reduction.

A staff report on automated collection presented at Monday’s meeting noted “several deviations from council’s mandate,” including reconfiguring the truck fleet purchase and adjusting the cart purchase, resulted in the costs for the service increasing by more than $450,000.

“Staff acknowledge that failure to advise council of adjustments to the Sort Toss Roll program was an error,” notes the report, authored by Bill Sims, director of public works and engineering, and Charlotte Davis, manager of sanitation and public works administration.

Sims said he thinks the city is still on track with its timeline to have more new trucks arrive in early spring and have carts start rolling out in late spring. He said Phase 1 went more smoothly than his department expected.

“We’d still ask council’s patience and the community’s patience as we roll our Phase 2, because we know there’s lots of learning to do and lots of questions to ask and answer,” Sims said. “But we’re convinced a year from now, we’ll be in great shape and nobody will ever want to carry a can again.”



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

City of Nanaimo challenges families to Instagram their park explorations

ParkIt challenge set up to offer prizes to cap off days at the park

Nanaimo RCMP want speeding motorists to ‘slow the blazes down’

Police raise alarm after seeing 400-per cent rise in excessive speeding tickets last month

Top central Vancouver Island health official retires

Island Health says Dr. Paul Hasselback’s replacement to be named shortly

17-year-old girl from Nanaimo reported missing

RCMP asking for help finding Trisha Harry

B.C. appeals judge’s decision to leave three clubhouses in Hells Angels hands

The province has filed two notices of appeal related to the B.C. Supreme Court decision

B.C. identifies 20 new COVID-19 cases, travellers specified in count

Pandemic total 3,028 cases, 51 people from outside Canada

Campaign aims to raise $50K for young family of deceased Vancouver Island skydiver

James Smith, 34, died July 5 following incident in Nanoose Bay

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

B.C. ports part of data integration project to protect marine ecosystems

The $1.2 M federally funded program will draw crucial baseline data from Canada’s three coastlines

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Jamie Bacon pleads guilty to charge in Surrey Six case

The plea brings an end to a complex legal case that has spanned more than a decade

World’s biggest Nanaimo bar confirmed, but it’s not in Nanaimo

Two Ontario children set the bar high with successful biggest Nanaimo bar world record attempt

Hefty undeclared driver charges piling up, ICBC warns customers

Average extra penalty $2,971 after an at-fault accident

Most Read