Tennis courts partly closed

The lower courts at Bowen Park will be out of commission for a few weeks. The courts are being resurfaced.

Nanaimo’s Wimbledon wannabes have plenty of places to play, but the lower courts at Bowen Park will be out of commission for a few weeks. The courts are being resurfaced during the next two months and the venue won’t re-open until the end of September, according to a City of Nanaimo press release.

“The [courts] are wearing out and in need of a new surface,” said Sandy Raddysh, city manager of recreation services. “The city appreciates the public’s patience while this project is underway.”

Bowen’s upper courts, freshly painted last month, remain open.

Other public tennis courts can be found at Beban Park, Diver Lake Park, Departure Bay Centennial Park, Beaufort Park, Cinnabar Valley Park, Harewood Centennial Park, John Weeks Park and May Richards Bennett Pioneer Park.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Nanaimo-bound ferry breaks down, but another available for service

Two sailings cancelled Sunday on Tsawwassen-Duke Point route

Air Canada will offer direct Nanaimo-to-Toronto flights again this year

Seasonal service will run from June until October

Nanaimo Clippers, clad in Snuneymuxw jerseys, win in OT

BCHL team wins both its weekend games to stay in contention for first place on the Island

Nanaimo a capital city in the beard business – Wildman Beard Co.

Wildman Beard Co. gained early success with Nanaimo mill workers

Nanaimo a capital city in the beard business – Big City Beards

Big City Beards inspired by an itch that had to be scratched

VIDEO: Minister reports ‘modest progress’ after blockade talks with First Nation

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs say Coastal GasLink does not have authority to go through their lands

#FoxForFiver: Support grows in B.C. to put Terry Fox on new $5 bill

Terry Fox’ Marathon of Hope raised money for cancer research

Woodlands proposed to house students during Cilaire seismic upgrades

Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools’ plan awaits ministry of education approval

Registration opens soon for BC 55+ Games in Richmond

2020 55+ Games have been officially scheduled for Sept. 15 to 19

Trudeau confers with cabinet ministers as rail blockades continue

The Trudeau government has been criticized for not doing more to end the blockades

Canadian nurses’ unions warn national standards for coronavirus protection too low

President says safety protocols nationwide are inadequate compared to those in Ontario and other countries

Murder of sex worker exposes Canada’s hypocrisy on prostitution: advocate

A 2014 law made purchasing sex or benefiting from the selling of sex illegal

Most Read