Pete Dubenski has signed to play with Nanaimo’s senior B Re/Max Timbermen this coming season. NEWS BULLETIN file

Senior B Timbermen get goalie from senior A Timbermen

Pete Dubenski joining senior B squad for Presidents Cup season

The senior B Nanaimo Timbermen have attracted more top-tier lacrosse talent.

The team, now called the Re/Max Timbermen, announced several player signings last week, and confirmed this week the addition of goaltender Pete Dubenski, who was the No. 1 goalie with the senior A Nanaimo Timbermen last season.

Shawn Swanson, general manager of the senior B T-men, said “getting Pete’s pretty massive” to round out the goaltending picture. Nick Patterson is still with the team and Danny Walters is also in the mix.

Senior A Timbermen president Chris Bowman told the News Bulletin last month that Dubenski had made the club aware of his intentions to play senior B early in the off-season, allowing the team time to prepare.

Swanson said it was Dubenski who approached the senior B T-men.

“He wants to win a championship for Nanaimo. He’s all about Nanaimo and he sees this as an opportunity for Nanaimo lacrosse,” the GM said. “Obviously he wants to be playing WLA, but he sees this as a once-in-a-career chance to play for a championship in front of his town.”

The senior B Timbermen are nationals-bound in 2018 as they are the host team for the Presidents Cup.

Dubenski is one of several players coming from senior A. Former senior A T-men players Cayle Ratcliff, Doug Langlois and Myles Kenny are also joining the senior B T-men, and Steve Higgs, who was with the senior A Victoria Shamrocks, is returning to the senior B Timbermen.

Ratcliff was the captain of the senior A Timbermen, but didn’t play lacrosse last season due to work commitments.

“He wants to win a title and he wants to do it for Nanaimo,” Swanson said. “He’s a huge signing for us because he’ll play from Day 1 and I think what he brings is pretty huge when you get into a tournament like the Presidents Cup.”

Earlier this off-season, the senior B Timbermen made waves with the signing of Jeff Shattler, a former National Lacrosse League MVP. Swanson said more player additions are in the works.

The GM said the team is also excited about representing its new team sponsor as the Re/Max Timbermen.

“We’ve had a few years of not having a sponsor, so just knowing for the next three years we’ve got that influx of some money and support from a company like that means a lot to operating and getting bills paid,” he said.



sports@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Motorcycle and minivan involved in serious crash in north Nanaimo

Firefighter says it wasn’t known if motorcyclist would survive

Lantzville man claims falling ice smashed his truck windshield

Man discovered volleyball-sized chunk ice on his truck Saturday

Trick-or-treaters, and everyone else, welcomed to the Crescent

Victoria Crescent neighbourhood partners with City of Nanaimo on new welcome signs

Regional District of Nanaimo board will be almost all new

Only 3-4 directors out of 19 returning to RDN board table

‘She’s charging. Oh God’: Mama grizzly runs at B.C. man armed with shotgun

People online were quick to question – and defend – a man’s decision to shoot a grizzly bear charging him on a Bella Coola front yard

Red Sox beat Dodgers 8-4 in Game 1 of World Series

Benintendi has 4 hits as Boston cruises at Fenway

Island Health encourages sexual assault survivors to #TrustYourself

New social media campaign urges survivors of sexual assault to seek medical care

Canada announces $20M fund for women entrepreneurs

New federal program will provide up to $100,000 for female business owners to grow their operations

B.C. veteran combats PTSD in the ring and on the farm

Cam Tetrault is a valuable contributor at Quesnel’s Two Rivers Boxing Club

B.C. vegan butcher to appear on Dragons’ Den

Victoria’s Very Good Butchers will star in Nov. 29 episode

Fast ferries from B.C. spotted in Egypt

Controversial aluminum BC Ferries vessels ’big white elephants covered in dust,’ eyewitness says

Canadian troops, families take shelter in hotel after Florida hurricane

Most of the Canadians were evacuated from the military base before Hurricane Michael

B.C. jury trial hears police-sting audio of man accused of killing girl, 12

Garry Handlen has pleaded not guilty to the first-degree murder of Monica Jack on May 6, 1978.

Most Read