Clippers to bid for inaugural western junior A championship

Updated arena, organization's 40th anniversary present strong opportunity for successful application

The Nanaimo Clippers organization will submit a bid to host the inaugural Western Canadian Junior A Hockey Championship in 2013, a tournament that will qualify the region’s entrants to the Royal Bank Cup national championship.

The new championship will replace the Doyle Cup as a better way of determining the top two western Canada junior A hockey teams.

The 10-day, 13-game championship will involve five teams – four teams and a host team – representing Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and B.C., in a round robin style tournament.

“We’re definitely going to make a bid,” said Clippers coach and GM Mike Vandekamp. “We feel we have the city, the facility, the history as 2013 will be the 40th anniversary of the Clipper organization, and it’s an opportunity for us to put our organization back at the forefront.”

The last major junior A tournament held in Nanaimo was in 1998 when the Clippers hosted the Royal Bank Cup.

To accommodate that tournament, improvements were made to Frank Crane Arena, such as better lighting.

The arena recently received more than $1 million in upgrades, which Vandekamp said should improve Nanaimo’s chances of securing the tournament.

Hockey Canada gave the British Columbia Hockey League first dibs on hosting the tournament. The host city will rotate throughout the four provinces.

The deadline to submit a bid is Dec. 15, and the winning submission will be announced in mid-January. The tournament will take place from April 26 to May 5, 2013.

Nanaimo council endorsed the bid Monday night and also approved a request from the Clippers to have exclusive use of Frank Crane Arena during the 10-day tournament.

Coun. Diana Johnstone, chairwoman of the Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission, said the championship would bring about 150 players, coaches, support staff, scouts and officials to Nanaimo for a period of at least 12 days, providing an economic boost to the city.

reporter2@nanaimobulletin.com

Just Posted

City of Nanaimo says it’s ‘back on track’ with waste collection

Mechanical issues, ‘additional pressures’ caused delays

House fire in Nanaimo earlier this month being investigated as suspicious

Nanaimo Fire Rescue hands over Palomino Place house fire investigation to RCMP

Young jiu-jitsu athletes win medals on the mat

Nanaimo’s Island Top Team athletes fare well at Richmond tournament

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Snowbirds’ militarism shouldn’t be celebrated

The public has accepted this military demonstration team as benign entertainment, says letter writer

Hundreds of Kin club members meeting in Nanaimo this week

Service club holding national convention Aug. 21-24

Disney Plus to launch in Canada in November

Analysts say latest streaming service may escalate cord cutting

Okanagan bus driver assaulted for asking patron not to smoke

59-year-old in hospital with non-life threatening injuries

B.C. sets rules for ride hailing, same minimum fee as taxis

Larger operating areas seen as threat by cab companies

Two hiking families team up to extinguish fire in B.C. backcountry

Children and their parents worked for three hours to ensure safety of the popular hiking region

Police seek tips in 2015 death of Island teen Brown

Four years has passed since the body of Penelakut Island woman was discovered

Vancouver man arrested after pregnant woman’s SUV stolen, then crashed

Police are recommending charges against a 22-year-old Vancouver man

Elections Canada to assess ‘partisan’ climate change rhetoric case by case

People’s Party of Canada Leader Maxime Bernier has said climate change is not an emergency nor caused by human

Unseasonable snow forces campers out of northeastern B.C. provincial park

Storm brought as much as 35 centimetres of snow to the Fort Nelson, Muncho Lake Park-Stone Mountain Park

Most Read