To the Editor,
Re: Seniors need access to help, Opinion March 24 and Roadblocks to assistance worrisome, March 24.
As a 1933 vintage old man and still lucky enough to be among the independent, I found these articles a bit insulting. They created the impression that all old folks should be patted condescendingly on the head and pointed toward the nearest care home.
Isn’t it bad enough that we get patronized with cloying terms like “senior citizens”, “golden agers”, etc.
Predictably, the NDP jumped on the bandwagon with their “aging and seniors roundtable”.
If that prompts more action from governments to help “all” those in need of affordable housing/medications etc., then fair enough. But having grown a bit cynical about politics, I suspect it’s more about garnering old peoples’ votes.
The statement that “10 per cent of seniors in Nanaimo require long term care and the other 90 per cent are “struggling” to access services to age in their homes” ludicrously fails to recognize those of us who must be the remaining zero per cent.
I don’t agree that information on organizations and services for old people is too hard to find. Start with the Seniors Resource Directory provided by the News Bulletin.
However, it’s up to everyone, if we know of anyone who can’t use a directory, to lend a hand.