The fire on Green Mountain southwest of Nanaimo as it looked from the sky earlier this week. (B.C. Wildfire Service photo)

Wildfire southwest of Nanaimo now largely under control

Crews have been on the scene since Friday

A wildfire on Green Mountain north of Cowichan Lake and southwest of Nanaimo remains largely under control.

The fire sparked up on Friday and grew to 15 hectares by end of day Saturday. It was at 16 hectares by Sunday morning, and hasn’t grown in size since then.

It is believed to have been caused by lightning.

B.C. Wildfire Service fire information officer Dorthe Jakobsen reported that it was 65 per cent under control on Wednesday morning. The remaining 35 per cent is burning on cliffsides.

“It is steep and unreachable,” she explained. “So it will take us some time to work on that. The mop-up is ongoing.”

As of Wednesday morning, there were 40 firefighters, four fallers, two helicopters and other heavy equipment on the scene.

READ ALSO: Cooler day helps crews fighting fire on mountainside southwest of Nanaimo

bc wildfires

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

COVID-19 isn’t cancelling this year’s Tour de Rock

Alumni riders will cycle relay sections in their own communities

Trail proposed to connect Cedar and Yellow Point

Regional director says project fits with active transportation goals

Woodgrove Centre posts plans to make masks and temperature checks mandatory

Mall advises in letter to customers that rules will come into effect Monday, Sept. 21

Protesters march in Nanaimo, calling for greater protection of forests and watersheds

March for the Forests happened downtown on Friday afternoon

After testing, Island Health deems water safe around industrial fire site

Concerns about water quality arose after Sept. 10-11 fire at Schnitzer facility in Cassidy

Accused in Makayla Chang’s murder sees next court date in October

Steven Michael Bacon faces first-degree murder charge in killing of Nanaimo teen

Regional District of Nanaimo looks to create its own flag

Staff created makeshift flag earlier this year for a conference that ended up getting cancelled

Nanaimo senior defrauded out of $14,000 in ‘grandson scam’

80-year-old victim was told her grandson was out-of-province and in legal trouble

VIDEO: B.C. to launch mouth-rinse COVID-19 test for kids

Test involves swishing and gargling saline in mouth and no deep-nasal swab

Conservation officers free fawn stuck in fence in Nanaimo

Fawn was uninjured after getting caught in fence in Hammond Bay area Wednesday

Beefs & Bouquets, Sept. 16

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

One person dead in two-vehicle accident in North Island

Highway 19A was closed for several hours north of Courtenay following the crash

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

The court’s second female justice, died Friday at her home in Washington

Comox Valley protesters send message over old-growth logging

Event in downtown Courtenay was part of wider event on Friday

Most Read