One of Vancouver Island University’s welding students is in hospital in Victoria being treated for severe burns after an accident at the university’s welding program shop Tuesday. (Screenshot photo taken from Gofundme page)

VIU student severely burned in welding accident

Vancouver Island University welding student in Victoria hospital

A student in Vancouver Island University’s welding program is in Victoria’s Royal Jubilee Hospital where he is being treated for third-degree burns after a welding accident earlier this week.

A GoFundMe page, set up to raise money to support the student and his family during his recovery, identifies the student as Jack Hollas.

Carrie Chassels, Vancouver Island University’s vice-president of student affairs, confirmed a student was involved in a welding accident.

“Unfortunately one of our students on Tuesday in our welding shop was using the welding equipment and his clothing caught on fire and he suffered burns and was taken to the hospital,” Chassels said.

She did not have word about Hollas’s condition.

Hollas had started at VIU’s welding foundations program in September.

Chassels said she did not know what kind of welding method Hollas was practising when the accident occurred and was not aware of any similar incidents in the past.

“We really do emphasize safety throughout the program,” she said. “The students spend the first week of their program intensely learning about safety related to the trade.”

A GoFundMe campaign, set up on Wednesday, the day after Hollas’s accident, has a fundraising goal of $20,000. As of Thursday afternoon it had raised more than $5,300 and the page had been shared on Facebook more than 760 times.

“VIU’s primary concern right now is supporting the student and his family and our students and faculty who are concerned for his well-being are really hoping that he has the best recovery possible,” Chassels said. “VIU is doing some information gathering on our end to make sure that our safety measures are at the highest standards so that we can be assured that something like this doesn’t happen again in the future.”



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Idea of free student bus passes will come to Regional District of Nanaimo board table

Tyler Brown, RDN transit committee chairman, hopes to explore fully subsidized bus passes for youths

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Neighbourhood around supportive housing disrespected

Supreme Court’s ruling a mean-spirited example of establishment versus the people, says letter writer

Nanaimo school district starting from scratch on testing water for lead

Health Canada changed acceptable levels to 0.005 mg/L in March, prompting re-testing at schools

Nanaimo service station first in B.C. to be part of Petro-Canada’s ‘electric highway’

EV charge stations started operating last month at service station at Terminal and Princess Royal

New VIU president sworn in at ceremony at Snuneymuxw Longhouse

Deborah Saucier says VIU is committed to inclusion and reconciliation with indigenous peoples

VIDEO: B.C. couple creates three-storey ‘doggie mansion’ for their five pups

Group of seven, who Kylee Ryan has dubbed as the ‘wandering paws,’ have a neat setup in Jade City

Port Alberni mom takes school district to court over Indigenous smudging, prayer in class

Candice Servatius, who is an evangelical Christian, is suing School District 70

Man, 50, dies following incident in downtown Parksville

Teenage girl hailed as hero for intervening after witnessing situation unfold

Senior dies after suffering medical emergency and crashing vehicle in Nanoose Bay

Bystanders performed CPR while waiting for first responders

Nanaimo artist Willow Friday presents first photo exhibition at Artzi Stuff

‘Wanderlust’ chronicles Friday’s recent trip through the American southwest

Family of B.C. man killed in hit-and-run plead for tips, one year later

Cameron Kerr’s family says the driver and passengers tried to cover their tracks

Princeton couple pays for dream vacation with 840,000 grocery store points

It’s easy if you know what you are doing, they say

Chilliwack family’s dog missing after using online pet-sitting service

Frankie the pit bull bolted and hit by a car shortly after drop off through Rover.com

B.C. wildlife experts urge hunters to switch ammo to stop lead poisoning in birds

OWL, in Delta, is currently treating two eagles for lead poisoning

Most Read