Findings from an investigation into workplace complaints made by CAO Tracy Samra will be discussed by city council. FILE PHOTO/News Bulletin

Video shows alleged assault at Nanaimo city meeting

City council to discuss next steps after receiving report on CAO’s workplace complaints

Nanaimo council is expected to go behind closed doors Wednesday to discuss results of an investigation into workplace complaints by chief administrative officer Tracy Samra and next steps.

The move comes after a link to a video of an alleged physical assault of Samra by former city councillor Wendy Pratt was sent to the media on Monday with a news release that shared information about the investigation and an incident where Samra was allegedly assaulted by Pratt.

Pratt resigned earlier this year, triggering a July 8 byelection. It’s unclear who sent the news release, but it came just days after city council received an in-camera report July 26 from consultants hired by the city to investigate Samra’s workplace complaints.

The work by consultant Roslyn Goldner began after Samra was allegedly physically assaulted, according to the news release which quotes Samra as saying she filed a complaint after the Feb. 27 incident “so there would be a mechanism for this to stop and to get Mayor [Bill] McKay to stop targeting me.”

The news release also claims the consultant confirmed the conduct of McKay and councillors Diane Brennan and Wendy Pratt has created a hostile work environment for the CAO which cannot be confirmed as the report remains in-camera.

McKay denied that he’s targeted Samra and said the release’s comments about his and councillors conduct is inaccurate.

He also said, of the video, that he’d suggest there was a much larger meeting that took place and it’s not known what happened before and after the seven seconds. He had not been at the meeting where the video was taken.

“The alleged assault has been reviewed by the RCMP and the crown prosecutor and it’s my understanding the case is closed so releasing it at this time seems odd to me,” he said.

Coun. Gord Fuller said he believes the consultant’s whole report should be released, but that everybody involved, including the initiator and respondent, must agree and he claims the respondents have not agreed.

Fuller said he was a “little bit disappointed” in the results of the investigation.

“I believe the person doing the report came to a different definition of bullying and harassment and wasn’t really looking at our policy per se,” he said, adding if details are released, people can make their own decision.

Samra also said in the release that she made “unprofessional comments” that were overheard outside the boardroom when the consultant’s report was released to council last week.

“I apologize to those who heard my remarks,” she said.

According to Victor Mema, deputy CAO, complaints have been made by city staff to the human resources about Samra’s comments and those complaints are being reviewed and investigated by human resources. He could not say what Samra’s comments were because the matter is currently being looked into.

Fuller and McKay both confirmed council is expected to discuss the report and next steps at an in-camera meeting tomorrow.

“There was stuff that was recommended in the report and then we will make further recommendations if need be,” said Fuller, who’d like to see a public apology, at the minimum, from McKay and others.

Samra did not return requests for an interview and has been on medical leave since last Wednesday. The release says she expects to remain on leave while council considers the report findings and what steps can be taken to address the “toxic work environment.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Gabriola Island community bus sees 100,000th rider

Gabriola Environmentally Responsible Trans-Island Express celebrated milestone Jan. 25

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Mayor and council aren’t necessary

Instead of candidates, put municipal priorities on the ballot, says letter writer

RDN budget talks to include public consultation results

Director not impress with level of engagement

Pro wrestler Raven to re-live ECW, WCW, WWE days

Pro wrestler host a talk Jan. 31 at the Queen’s in Nanaimo

VIU volleyball wins all its matches

Mariners sweep past College of the Rockies Avalanche on lengthy road trip

WATCH: Find a perfect venue at Hitched Wedding & Events Affair

Check out vendors, venues and more at the Comox Community Centre today until 4 p.m.

Canada’s basketball community mourns Kobe Bryant after helicopter crash

Bryant was an 18-time NBA all-star who won five championships

‘Devastated’: Fans, celebrities remember Kobe Bryant after his death

Bryant played all of his 20-year career with the NBA with the Los Angeles Lakers

Investigation launched after six dead puppies dumped in Richmond hotel parking lot

RAPS reminds people they can always give up puppies they can’t take care of

Canadian Lunar New Year celebrations dampened by coronavirus worries

But Health Minister Patty Hajdu said today that the risk of infection is low

B.C. VIEWS: New coronavirus outbreak an important reminder

Walking the line between cautious and alarmist

Kobe Bryant, daughter killed in California helicopter crash

Bryant entered the NBA draft straight out of high school in 1996

Risk of coronavirus low in B.C. as first case emerges in Toronto: officials

There have been no confirmed cases of the virus in B.C.

Most Read