Mounties in Nanaimo are investigating an early morning melee on the weekend that left three people injured.
According to Nanaimo RCMP, the fight happened Sunday at about 2:45 a.m. on the 100 block of Commercial Street and involved upward of 15 people, but the suspects who allegedly started it fled before police arrived.
Police arrived to find a 25-year-old man lying on the sidewalk after apparently being assaulted. Officers also determined a 20-year-old man and woman had been assaulted as well.
Officers spoke with a number of bystanders to learn the fight appeared to have been unprovoked and the suspects were identified as a man and woman who might be associated with a senior B lacrosse team from out-of-province that was in town for the week to compete at national championships.
The three injured adults were treated at the scene by B.C. Ambulance Service paramedics and declined further medical treatment.
“Situations like this are not uncommon. We do see them from time to time,” said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman. “Having said that, there were 15 people at the fight itself. We don’t believe all 15 were fighting. We know now that most of these people would have had iPhones on them and we’re looking any iPhone video footage of it. Information is still coming in and we’re developing a profile on who we believe was responsible for the incident.”
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345. To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com or call 1-800-222-8477.