Saturday edition ceases publication this month

NANAIMO – The News Bulletin will no longer publish a Saturday edition.

The News Bulletin will no longer publish a Saturday edition.

The paper’s parent company, Black Press, made the decision last month to eliminate the Saturday edition to focus on strengthening the Tuesday and Thursday issues.

Publisher Maurice Donn said the move was not indicative of the company’s earnings, but rather a shift in how people read newspapers today.

“Families are busy on the weekends and want news and information about activities in Nanaimo throughout the week to allow them to make the most of their time,” he said. “Our advertisers want to get that information to them, and the best place for that is our Tuesday and Thursday editions.”

The Saturday edition was introduced more than nine years ago, but was less popular than other issues. Regular sections such as Coastal Living, Active Life and business were a feature of the weekend edition, and will move into the News Bulletin’s Tuesday issue.

As well, regular columnists, such as Ian Thorpe, David Suzuki and Marjorie Stewart will see their writing continue to be published in either Tuesday or Thursday editions.

Black Press’s commitment to its community newspaper in Nanaimo remains strong.

“We’re looking forward to offering readers more news, arts and sports in our larger Tuesday and Thursday issues,” Donn said.

Breaking news, community features and other stories are available online at www.nanaimobulletin.com.