Capt. Kevin Hagen, from Nanaimo, was among the Canadian Armed Forces members missing after a helicopter crash off the coast of Greece in late April. (Photo submitted)

Capt. Kevin Hagen, from Nanaimo, was among the Canadian Armed Forces members missing after a helicopter crash off the coast of Greece in late April. (Photo submitted)

Remains of Nanaimo native, involved in helicopter crash near Greece, identified

Defence dept. says remains of Capt. Kevin Hagen recovered during CAF-U.S. Navy operation

The remains of a Nanaimo native, involved in a helicopter crash off the coast of Greece in late April, have been identified, says the Canadian Department of National Defence.

Capt. Kevin Hagen, originally from Nanaimo, was among those presumed dead after the CH-148 Cyclone helicopter he and five other Canadian Armed Forces members were on crashed during a NATO training mission in the Ionian Sea on April 29. According to a press release issued today, his remains were positively identified by the Office of the Chief Coroner for Ontario on June 18.

RELATED: Nanaimo pilot presumed dead after armed forces helicopter crash

Along with Hagen, remains of Capt. Maxime Miron-Morin from Bécancour, Que., Sub-Lt. Matthew Pyke, originally from Truro, N.S., and Master Cpl. Matthew Cousins, originally from Guelph, Ont., were also identified.

“Their remains were located and recovered during a combined CAF-United States Navy search and recovery operation conducted between May 25 and June 2,” said the press release. “The families of all crew members lost in the accident have been notified.”

Remains of Sub-Lt. Abbigail Cowbrough (Toronto, Ont.) and partial remains of Capt. Brenden MacDonald (originally from New Glasgow, N.S.) were previously identified and no further remains were found during recovery operations, the press release stated.

“On behalf of the entire extended navy family, I continue to extend my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies to the families and loved ones of our six fallen shipmates,” vice-admiral Art McDonald,Royal Canadian Navy commander, said in the press release. “I hope today’s news provides some comfort and closure to each of you.”


More from the News Bulletin on Facebook and Twitter

Canadian Armed Forces

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Janice Perrino, Nanaimo and District Hospital Foundation CEO, holds information brochures for the Light the Trees campaign, part of an effort to raise $5 million for the new intensive care unit at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
Million-dollar donation has Light the Trees campaign off to a bright start in Nanaimo

Windsor Plywood Foundation supports Nanaimo and District Hospital Foundation

Regional District of Nanaimo will be receiving $1.17 million from the B.C. government in COVID-19 safe restart grant money. (News Bulletin file)
Regional District of Nanaimo directors getting started on budgeting decisions

Proposed tax requisitions for 2021 range from 7.3-per cent increase to 2.2-per cent decrease

A sport utility vehicle and a Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools work van crashed on Bowen Road near the intersection with Caspers Way this afternoon. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
Drivers taken to hospital after head-on crash on Nanaimo’s Bowen Road

Crash happened near Caspers Way intersection Friday afternoon

École North Oyster. (Black Press file)
With more student drop-offs during pandemic, SD68 examines safety outside North Oyster school

Fewer school bus trips and more cars accentuating traffic concerns, say school district staff

A woman wears a protective face covering to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 as she walks along the seawall in North Vancouver Wednesday, November 25, 2020.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
911 new COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths as B.C. sees deadliest week since pandemic began

Hospitalizations reach more than 300 across the province

A photo from 2017, of Nuchatlaht First Nation members outside court after filing a land title case in B.C. ( Submitted photo/Nuchatlaht First Nation).
Vancouver Island First Nation calls on B.C. to honour UNDRIP in historic title case

Nuchatlaht First Nation says Crown counsel continues to stall the case using the ‘distasteful’ argument that the Nation ‘abandoned’ their land

West Vancouver Island’s Ehattesaht First Nation continues lock down after 9 active cases were reported today after a visitor tested positive last week. (Ehattesaht First Nation/Facebook)
Ehattesaht First Nation’s COVID-19 nightmare: nine active cases, a storm and a power outage

The Vancouver Island First Nation in a lockdown since the first case was reported last week

Black Press Media and BraveFace have come together to support children facing life-threatening conditions. Net proceeds from these washable, reusable, three-layer masks go to Make-A-Wish Foundation BC & Yukon.
Put on a BraveFace: Help make children’s wishes come true

Black Press Media, BraveFace host mask fundraiser for Make-A-Wish Foundation

Nanaimo MLA Sheila Malcolmson takes her oaths of office virtually on Thursday. (B.C. Government YouTube screen shot)
Nanaimo MLA Sheila Malcolmson named B.C.’s mental health and addictions minister

Malcolmson succeeds Judy Darcy, who did not seek re-election

Police in Nanaimo never know what they’ll encounter when called upon to check on the well-being of people. (News Bulletin file photo)
Nanaimo RCMP find ‘heart-breaking’ circumstances during wellness checks

Police offer sampling of outcomes from well-being checks over recent weeks

The Ahousaht First Nation confirmed its first case of COVID-19 on Nov. 26, 2020. (Westerly file photo)
Ahousaht First Nation on lockdown over COVID-19

“Emotions are high. The anxiety is high. We want our community to pull through.”

Most Read