One person displaced by fire on Wesley Street

NANAIMO - Building evacuated after cigarette sparks minor fire in clothing.

One resident will be temporarily displaced from a social housing unit following a fire Wednesday morning.

Firefighters were called to residential building at 437 Wesley St. shortly before 9 a.m. to what proved to be a minor fire.

“It was started by a poorly discarded cigarette into a pile of clothes that caused a small fire,” said Alan Millbank, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer. “The tenant will be displaced, but nobody else is.”

Damage was minimal and evacuated occupants were able to return after smoke and dry chemical fire extinguisher residue was cleared from the building.