Dover Bay Secondary School. (Nanaimo News Bulletin file)

Dover Bay Secondary School. (Nanaimo News Bulletin file)

Nanaimo’s school COVID-19 cases come right before semester change

Teachers’ union president says new classes could increase potential for exposure

With COVID-19 cases at Nanaimo high schools and a semester change imminent, the teachers’ union fears there could be further spreading of the disease.

Within the past week, Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools has announced two COVID-19 cases at Dover Bay Secondary School and one at John Barsby Secondary. The district is employing a quarterly system in 2020-21 and with a new semester set to begin Monday, Nov. 16, Denise Wood, Nanaimo District Teachers’ Association president, hopes more safeguards are put in place.

Currently, masks are mandatory for high school students in high-traffic areas and voluntary for in-class situations, and voluntary across the board for elementary school students.

“I’m concerned that if a student tests positive … and it’s determined that they’ve been at school both this week and last week, and that they’re exposure dates, they’re now going to be looking at double the number of possible contacts that would be exposed,” Wood said. “We’re suggesting that one way the district could correct that is to have mandatory masks in high schools for the next two weeks, so that it would minimize any chance of exposure.”

RELATED: Nanaimo’s Barsby Secondary now has COVID ‘cluster’

RELATED: COVID-19 case reported at second Nanaimo high school

RELATED: SD68 won’t heed request for all-inclusive masks for now

RELATED: SD68 high school students to see two classes a day

Dale Burgos, Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools’ spokesperson, said the district follows health official directives, which currently aren’t calling for increased mask usage. Students are being advised to perform daily health checks and stay home if they’re not feeling well, or feeling COVID-19 symptoms, Burgos said, and there is a plan in place in the event of a spike in cases.

He said the school district will take direction from the health authority.

“What we’ve had right now is a cluster at Dover Bay and an exposure at John Barsby … in terms of an outbreak, in very high-level terms, we would essentially take the advice of what Island Health says,” Burgos said. “If it’s that we have to shut down a school, then we would do so. If we would have to shut down a specific cohort, however many students that it would be, and that they stay home, then we would do that as well. There’s nothing at the district level to make that decision.”

When asked about whether there has been consideration to making masks mandatory in all areas of schools, the B.C. Ministry of Health said, in an e-mail, that a mask is only one layer of the protections needed to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Schools have their own safety protocols that include instances in which staff and middle and high school students must wear masks. Young people are resilient and adaptable and many are already wearing masks routinely, the ministry said.

In her Nov. 12 media briefing, Dr. Bonnie Henry, provincial health officer, said that as of Nov. 5, there have been 261 school exposures in all of B.C.’s 1,942 schools.

“We’ve had very few transmissions within a school setting, so despite the fact that we’ve had 261 exposures … there have been less than a dozen incidents where there’s been transmission within the school setting,” Henry said.

She suggested that means that measures in place are working.

Burgos said the district purchased disinfectant spray machines for each school to enhance cleaning and custodial staff are working around the clock.



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Karl on Twitter and Instagram

CoronavirusEducation

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Janice Perrino, Nanaimo and District Hospital Foundation CEO, holds information brochures for the Light the Trees campaign, part of an effort to raise $5 million for the new intensive care unit at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
Million-dollar donation has Light the Trees campaign off to a bright start in Nanaimo

Windsor Plywood Foundation supports Nanaimo and District Hospital Foundation

Regional District of Nanaimo will be receiving $1.17 million from the B.C. government in COVID-19 safe restart grant money. (News Bulletin file)
Regional District of Nanaimo directors getting started on budgeting decisions

Proposed tax requisitions for 2021 range from 7.3-per cent increase to 2.2-per cent decrease

A sport utility vehicle and a Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools work van crashed on Bowen Road near the intersection with Caspers Way this afternoon. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
Drivers taken to hospital after head-on crash on Nanaimo’s Bowen Road

Crash happened near Caspers Way intersection Friday afternoon

École North Oyster. (Black Press file)
With more student drop-offs during pandemic, SD68 examines safety outside North Oyster school

Fewer school bus trips and more cars accentuating traffic concerns, say school district staff

A woman wears a protective face covering to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 as she walks along the seawall in North Vancouver Wednesday, November 25, 2020.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
911 new COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths as B.C. sees deadliest week since pandemic began

Hospitalizations reach more than 300 across the province

A photo from 2017, of Nuchatlaht First Nation members outside court after filing a land title case in B.C. ( Submitted photo/Nuchatlaht First Nation).
Vancouver Island First Nation calls on B.C. to honour UNDRIP in historic title case

Nuchatlaht First Nation says Crown counsel continues to stall the case using the ‘distasteful’ argument that the Nation ‘abandoned’ their land

West Vancouver Island’s Ehattesaht First Nation continues lock down after 9 active cases were reported today after a visitor tested positive last week. (Ehattesaht First Nation/Facebook)
Ehattesaht First Nation’s COVID-19 nightmare: nine active cases, a storm and a power outage

The Vancouver Island First Nation in a lockdown since the first case was reported last week

Black Press Media and BraveFace have come together to support children facing life-threatening conditions. Net proceeds from these washable, reusable, three-layer masks go to Make-A-Wish Foundation BC & Yukon.
Put on a BraveFace: Help make children’s wishes come true

Black Press Media, BraveFace host mask fundraiser for Make-A-Wish Foundation

Nanaimo MLA Sheila Malcolmson takes her oaths of office virtually on Thursday. (B.C. Government YouTube screen shot)
Nanaimo MLA Sheila Malcolmson named B.C.’s mental health and addictions minister

Malcolmson succeeds Judy Darcy, who did not seek re-election

Police in Nanaimo never know what they’ll encounter when called upon to check on the well-being of people. (News Bulletin file photo)
Nanaimo RCMP find ‘heart-breaking’ circumstances during wellness checks

Police offer sampling of outcomes from well-being checks over recent weeks

The Ahousaht First Nation confirmed its first case of COVID-19 on Nov. 26, 2020. (Westerly file photo)
Ahousaht First Nation on lockdown over COVID-19

“Emotions are high. The anxiety is high. We want our community to pull through.”

Most Read