Krafty kid Everett Botwright has chosen the next special edition Kraft Dinner noodle shape. The company revealed the seven-year-old’s choice in a video on its Facebook page Tuesday. (News Bulletin file)

Nanaimo’s KD Kid makes a meal out of Minions

Everett Botwright has chosen the next Kraft Dinner special edition noodle

Kraft Dinner’s new special edition noodles will be shaped like Minions, thanks to some help from Everett Botwright of Nanaimo.

Botwright, 7, who has autism, caught attention from the media, supporters, Kraft Heinz of Canada and even actor William Shatner in February when his father, Reed, put out a call for supplies of special edition Star Wars Kraft Dinner.

Everett is a picky eater due to his condition and finding something the boy enjoys was a boon to his parents who struggle to broaden Everett’s diet.

Reed Botwright’s online shout-out for Star Wars KD brought in several hundred boxes from Canadian Superstore, Kraft Heinz, which scoured its U.S. warehouses for the product, and a man in Winnipeg, Man., who contributed 100 boxes of Star Wars KD he found in a grocery store there.

Executives at Kraft Heinz also decided to let Everett choose the shape of the company’s next special edition noodle. Tuesday it was revealed in a video on KD’s Facebook page that Everett has made a meal out of Minions.

“I actually took the video on his birthday earlier in March and kind of left it in their hands because I didn’t want to jump the gun or spill the beans before they had coordinated things or secured licensing assets or whatever they do on their corporate side of things,” Botwright said.

In the video, he presents the noodle options to Everett, shot in their home March 7, where Everett makes his preference for Minions perfectly clear.

“I delivered the video to Kraft and they wanted him to have a part in this and now they’ve officially announced it,” Botwright said, adding Everett is a big fan of Minions and tries to mimic their character voices.

“Since the first Despicable Me movie, when he first watched it, he loved the Minions,” Botwright said.

Av Maharaj, Kraft Heinz vice president of corporate and legal affairs, said it will be closer to late 2017 or early 2018 before the new noodles are available on store shelves.

“We’re still figuring out our production schedule,” Maharaj said.

Kraft Heinz Canada has also donated $10,000 to Autism Canada to help children with autism and their families.

photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Cooler day helps crews fighting fire on mountainside southwest of Nanaimo

Firefighters making progress, but it’s ‘slow-going,’ says B.C. Wildfire Service

Nanaimo RCMP say increase in cycling opens up potential for more bike thefts

Police advise cyclists register their bikes with 529 Garage

City of Nanaimo to look at turning NDSS field into mid-size stadium

Parks and rec will begin stakeholder engagement and begin work on a phased plan for improvements

Woman arrested near Nanaimo’s Westwood Lake after road rage incidents

37-year-old woman facing charges including assault, assaulting a police officer, impaired driving

Crews work overnight to try to put out wildfire on Pender Island

Fire department and B.C. Wildfire Service crews extinguishing fire in ‘extremely difficult terrain’

Crews work overnight to try to put out wildfire on Pender Island

Fire department and B.C. Wildfire Service crews extinguishing fire in ‘extremely difficult terrain’

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Pandemic isn’t a time for tax increases

City councillors are out of touch with the taxpayers, says letter writer

New ICBC data details Nanaimo intersections with the most crashes

Old Island Highway at Bowen Road and Norwell Drive saw the most crashes in 2019

Rollout of COVID-19 Alert app faces criticism over accessibility

App requires users to have Apple or Android phones made in the last five years, and a relatively new operating system

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Most Read