Nanaimo man arrested for alleged break-in at B.C. Hydro compound in Qualicum

Two suspects arrested after tripping alarm

Two men were arrested after setting off an alarm while allegedly attempting to break into the B.C. Hydro compound in Qualicum Beach, Oceanside RCMP reported Monday.

Police were notified of an alarm at approximately 4:20 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 1, at the B.C. Hydro compound at 271 Fern Rd. E. After arriving on the scene, officers located two men who had been spooked by the alarm walking away from the B.C. Hydro property. The suspects, a 38-year-old Parksville man and a 34-year-old Nanaimo man, were arrested for break-and-enter, RCMP said in a news release.

Following their arrests, the men were searched. The search revealed break-and-entry tools, a large knife and suspected drugs, police said. A police dog and handler were then called to attend and tracked the scent left by the suspects past a bag of tools and straight over a fence and into the compound, leaving police no doubt as to the pair’s involvement.

The suspects were held in custody and made their first appearance in Nanaimo Provincial Court later in the day. They were later released on court imposed conditions and returned to court to face charges on Tuesday, Feb. 6.

Just Posted

Vehicle smashes through front of furniture store in Nanaimo

No injuries reported in Friday afternoon incident on Mostar Road

Island Health dealing with ‘surge’ of measles vaccination requests in Nanaimo

No measles cases on Vancouver Island says Island Health

High school students converge on Nanaimo for Skills Canada competition

Winners will head to provincial event in Abbotsford later this year

More sailings coming to 10 BC Ferries’ routes

Transportation Minister Claire Trevena said the sailings were originally cut in 2014

Nanaimo Clippers say former CEO overcharged, took liquor sales money

Ownership group of B.C. Hockey League team files lawsuit in Supreme Court

National Energy Board approves Trans Mountain pipeline again

Next step includes cabinet voting on the controversial expansion

Beefs & Bouquets, Feb. 21

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Reports of rashes prompt closure of all Harrison Hot Springs pools

Public pool available after Fraser Health shut down all five mineral pools until further notice

Girl heard saying ‘Help my Dad’ in suspicious radio message on Vancouver Island

Police asking for help following mysterious signals from somewhere between Comox and Sayward

Maple Sugar Festival features family fun, francophone-style

Maple bar drinks will be poured through ice luge at festival showcasing French Canadian culture

Governance top of mind as Nanaimo council works on its strategic plan

Council working with facilitator to develop draft plan, public consultation still to come

City of Nanaimo needs a new garbage truck due to population growth

New automated truck comes with price tag of $430,000

Two more measles cases confirmed in Vancouver

It brings the number of total cases within the city connected to the outbreak to ten

Most Read