An intersection in north Nanaimo has the distinction of being the most crash-prone on Vancouver Island.
ICBC released its 2021 crash statistics for Vancouver Island on Tuesday, July 5, and the intersection of the old Island Highway, Aulds Road and Hammond Bay Road was the location with the most crashes last year, with 74. Second on the list was the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway and Trunk Road in Duncan, with 58 crashes, and then the Nanaimo Parkway at Aulds Road with 54 crashes.
As far as crashes resulting in injury or death, two Island locations tied atop the list with 25 crashes each: the Nanaimo Parkway at Aulds Road, and the Langford intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway, Millstream Road and the Veterans Memorial Parkway.
The Nanaimo intersections with the most crashes in 2021:
- Old Island Highway, Aulds Road and Hammond Bay Road - 74 crashes
- Old Island Highway, Bowen Road and Norwell Drive - 56
- Nanaimo Parkway at Aulds Road - 54
- Nanaimo Parkway at Jingle Pot Road (south) - 47
- Old Island Highway at Enterprise Way - 46
- Old Island Highway, Mostar Road and Rutherford Road - 41
- Trans-Canada Highway, Nanaimo Parkway and Cedar Road - 37
- Old Island Highway at Turner Road - 36
- Trans-Canada Highway, Maki Road and Tenth Street - 33
(tie) Nanaimo Parkway at Northfield Road - 33
The Nanaimo intersections that saw the greatest increase in crashes in 2021 were the old Island Highway, Aulds Road and Hammond Bay Road, with 32 more crashes than the previous year, the old Island Highway at Enterprise Way with 20 more crashes and the Nanaimo Parkway at Jingle Pot Road south intersection with 18 more crashes.
Lantzville shares two Nanaimo Parkway intersections with Nanaimo, but aside from those locations, Lantzville’s worst intersections in 2021 were the Island Highway at Ware Road, with 15 crashes, the Island Highway at Superior Road with seven crashes, Island Highway at Lantzville Road, six, and Island Highway, Bayview Park Drive and Rumming Road, five.
Nanoose Bay’s worst intersections were the Island Highway at Northwest Bay Road with 15 crashes and the Island Highway at Northwest Bay Logging Road with nine crashes.
Gabriola Island’s worst intersection in 2021 was South Road at Ferne Road, with three crashes.