An abandoned couch turned out to be a hot item in north Nanaimo on the weekend.
Firefighters responded shortly before midnight Friday to the couch, which was burning next to a dumpster on Glen Eagle Crescent.
“Someone had put a couch outside the dumpster and then someone lit the couch on fire,” said Rick Kwasnecha, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer.
In spite of a liberal dousing of water and a thorough overhaul of the furniture item, firefighters had to pay it a second visit at about 2 a.m. Saturday after it reignited.
The second snuffing put an end to any possibility of re-ignition.