One man is facing charges of assault and drug possession following an alleged attack with a machete in Nanaimo on the weekend. (News Bulletin file photo)

UPDATE: Man arrested in alleged machete attack being held in custody

One man facing multiple charges following report of an attack with machete on Sunday

One man has been arrested and is facing multiple charges after he allegedly attacked another man with a machete in Nanaimo this past weekend.

Police were called to a multi-suite rental house on the 100 block of Wakesiah Avenue on Sunday at about 8:30 p.m.

“It was a male threatening another male in a house and he was thought to be armed with a machete,” said Const. Gary O’Brien.

When police arrived, a 34-year-old man and 23-year-old woman met officers outside and said the suspect was believed to be inside the home. As a precaution, the two suites in the home were evacuated, the home was searched with help from an RCMP police dog, but the suspect wasn’t found.

“Three hours later he returns home,” O’Brien said. “We locate him in the carport of the home, he’s arrested without incident and held in custody.”

Officers also found a small amount of drugs, suspected to be cocaine and heroin, on the suspect.

Ryan Andrew Ordway, 37, was held in custody and appeared in Nanaimo provincial court Monday where he was charged with assault, three counts of uttering threats and two counts of possession of a controlled substance (cocaine and heroin).

Ordway will remain in custody until his next court appearance Tuesday, Dec. 5.

“The machete was not located and the victim was not injured during the assault,” O’Brien said.



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Woodgrove Centre posts plans to make masks and temperature checks mandatory

Mall advises in letter to customers that rules will come into effect Monday, Sept. 21

Protesters march in Nanaimo, calling for greater protection of forests and watersheds

March for the Forests happened downtown on Friday afternoon

After testing, Island Health deems water safe around industrial fire site

Concerns about water quality arose after Sept. 10-11 fire at Schnitzer facility in Cassidy

Nanaimo residents ticketed for putting out garbage bins the night before pickup

Conservation officers say they issued seven tickets this week, as warnings weren’t having an impact

Motor home burns up at north Nanaimo intersection

No one hurt in incident Friday morning at old Island Highway, Rutherford Road and Mostar Road

Accused in Makayla Chang’s murder sees next court date in October

Steven Michael Bacon faces first-degree murder charge in killing of Nanaimo teen

Regional District of Nanaimo looks to create its own flag

Staff created makeshift flag earlier this year for a conference that ended up getting cancelled

Nanaimo senior defrauded out of $14,000 in ‘grandson scam’

80-year-old victim was told her grandson was out-of-province and in legal trouble

VIDEO: B.C. to launch mouth-rinse COVID-19 test for kids

Test involves swishing and gargling saline in mouth and no deep-nasal swab

Conservation officers free fawn stuck in fence in Nanaimo

Fawn was uninjured after getting caught in fence in Hammond Bay area Wednesday

Beefs & Bouquets, Sept. 16

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

One person dead in two-vehicle accident in North Island

Highway 19A was closed for several hours north of Courtenay following the crash

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

The court’s second female justice, died Friday at her home in Washington

Comox Valley protesters send message over old-growth logging

Event in downtown Courtenay was part of wider event on Friday

Most Read