A pot left cooking unattended on a stove resulted in a kitchen fire just after 6:20 p.m. Sunday on Needham Street in the Snuneymuxw First Nation reserve.
Nanaimo Fire Rescue officials say the fire charred cabinetry in the kitchen, and that the smoke damage was bad enough throughout the home to displace the home owners.
“We’re not sure exactly how many family members were affected,” said Rick Kwasnecha, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer. “But they’re staying with neighbours or friends.”
Nobody was reported injured, and emergency social services was offered but refused by the homeowners.
The damaged house was a recent build on the reserve.
Kwasnecha said the majority of fire calls in Nanaimo are the result of kitchen fires that are preventable.