Firefighters tackle weekend bedroom fire

NANAIMO – Firefighters confine weekend fire in central Nanaimo home to bedroom.

A fire in a central Nanaimo home on the weekend was confined to a bedroom.

Firefighters responded shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday to a home at 2227 McGariggle Road.

Dave Leigh, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said the fire destroyed a bed, but the effect from the fire was otherwise limited to soot and smoke damage in the room.

Firefighters removed the bed from the building and snuffed out any smoldering hot spots in the mattress.

None of the three adults living in the home were injured.

Leigh said the cause of the fire is still being determined and he was also talking with police about his investigation, but could not say whether the fire was being considered suspicious or accidental in nature.

“I can’t say too much about it yet because I’m not exactly sure,” Leigh said Monday morning. “We’re still investigating it and I have to talk to one more person.”