Umesh Lal

Umesh Lal

Firefighters kept busy with weekend blazes

NANAIMO – One man displaced by fire at Crace Street home Sunday afternoon.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue had a busy few days as firefighters responded to a series of blazes in the city.

At 6:05 on Thursday, crews attended a fire on Milford Crescent which they quickly extinguished. Capt. Ennis Mond, fire prevention officer, said that fire, which appeared to have started in a planter, did minor damage to the exterior of a home.

While still on scene at Milford Crescent, fire crews were dispatched to an attic fire in a home at 106 Pine St.

The cause of the blaze, which damaged the top floor of the 100-year-old home, is still under investigation. Mond said three people living in the house escaped unharmed and are insured, but the fire was difficult to put out and the house is uninhabitable until repairs are made.

Fire broke out in a decommissioned chip silo at Harmac, shortly before 9:30 p.m. Thursday night.

“It appears that earlier in the day they had a fire in a hog pile and wind probably picked up embers and tossed them up onto the roof of this old building,” Mond said.

A fire suppression sprinkler system in the silo helped knock down the fire, but it still took several hours for a crew with an aerial ladder truck to fully extinguish the blaze.

Shortly after 6 a.m. Friday another call came in for fire that started in a rubbish pile and extended to the exterior of a home on the 3900 block of MacIsaac Drive. Fire damage was limited to the home’s exterior.

One man was displaced from his home at 910 Crace St. after a fire broke out Sunday shortly after 3 p.m.

The fire appears to have originated near a rear-entry door to the home’s basement and spread into an exterior wall. The blaze set gas cans and a lawnmower alight and worked its way up to the main floor where it caused extensive damage to the kitchen before burning into the attic.

Mond said the resident was away at work when the fire occurred and was not injured, but had no insurance.

The resident works on bicycles as a hobby and it appears the fire might have been started by sparks from grinding metal earlier in the day, Mond said.

photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Just Posted

Beban Pool is expected to re-open Oct. 4 after a vote by councillors at a finance and audit committee meeting Wednesday, June 16. (News Bulletin file photo)
City of Nanaimo will re-open Beban Pool in October

User groups warn COVID-19 pool closures have left a gap in water safety education

Beef to the lady who went onto my property then proceeded to take my large plant from my home. I found out and asked for it returned. You said I was dramatic? You should be ashamed of yourself.
Beefs & Bouquets, June 16

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

The discovery of a missing woman’s body in Nanaimo earlier this month is now being treated as homicide, say Nanaimo RCMP. (File photo)
Discovery of woman’s body in downtown Nanaimo now being investigated as a homicide

Amy Watts’s body was discovered near Albert Street and Victoria Crescent on June 3

Two Lotto Max tickets sold on Vancouver Island were winners, though nobody won the $70-million jackpot in Tuesday’s draw. (BCLC image)
Lotto Max player in Nanaimo wins $500,000

Campbell River lotto player wins $1 million in the Tuesday, June 15 draw

An artist’s rendering of a proposed student housing complex at 326 Wakesiah Ave. (WA Architects Ltd. image)
Two Lotto Max tickets sold on Vancouver Island were winners, though nobody won the $70-million jackpot in Tuesday’s draw. (BCLC image)
Lotto Max player in Nanaimo wins $500,000

Campbell River lotto player wins $1 million in the Tuesday, June 15 draw

Marine biologist Rick Harbo pulls a lid from the Ladysmith harbour, which he uses to monitor the presence of native and non-native species in the Ladysmith harbour. (Cole Schisler photo)
Unidentified sponge may be the latest marine species invading Island harbour

Marine biologist finding dozens of alien species in warm-water Ladysmith Harbour, none threatening

Island Health is bringing a vaccination clinic to Lake Cowichan starting June 23. (Submitted)
Island Health opening COVID-19 vaccine clinic to boost lagging Cowichan Lake numbers

Cowichan Valley West the only Island area under 60 per cent in adult first dose totals

For more than a year, Rene Doyharcabal and a small group of neighbours in Langley’s Brookswood neighbourhood have been going out every evening to show support for first responders by honking horns and banging pots and drums. Now, a neighbour has filed a noise complaint. (Langley Advance Times file)
Noise complaint filed against nightly show of support for health care workers in B.C. city

Langley Township contacted group to advise of complaint, but no immediate action is expected

A nurse prepares a shot of the COVID-19 vaccine at the Yukon Convention Centre in Whitehorse on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mike Thomas
Vancouver couple pleads guilty to breaking Yukon COVID rules, travelling for vaccine

Chief Judge Michael Cozens agreed with a joint sentencing submission,

An inmate in solitary confinement given lunch on Tuesday, May 10, 2016. THE CANADIAN/Lars Hagberg
22-hour cap on solitary confinement for youth in custody still too long: B.C. lawyer

Jennifer Metcalfe was horrified to hear a youth had spent a total of 78 straight days in isolation

Flowers and candles were laid on the driveway of the Weber home, where Kerri Weber was found dead in November 2020. (Black Press Media file photo)
Greater Victoria man to stand trial for death of his wife last November

Ken Weber is charged with second-degree murder of his wife, Kerri Weber

People line up to get their COVID-19 vaccine at a vaccination centre, Thursday, June 10, 2021 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Vaccines, low COVID case counts increase Father’s Day hope, but risk is still there

Expert says people will have to do their own risk calculus before popping in on Papa

B.C. Premier John Horgan listens as Finance Minister Selina Robinson presents the province’s latest budget, April 20, 2021. The budget projects $19 billion in deficits over three years. (Hansard TV)
B.C. government budget balloons, beyond COVID-19 response

Provincial payroll up 104,000 positions, $10 billion since 2017

Most Read