Damaged ferry scheduled to return to service by weekend

M.V. Queen of Coquitlam returns to route as investigations into hard landing get underway.

The M.V. Queen of Coquitlam, damaged during a hard landing last week, is expected to return to regular service by the end of the week.

The ship, which has been in service since 1976, was damaged Friday while docking at the B.C. Ferries Departure Bay terminal.

Deborah Marshall, B.C. Ferries spokeswoman, said the ship sustained damage to its rubbing strake – the protective steel band that wraps around the ship’s hull just above the water line – and some side steel plating supporting it.

The damage is about five metres long by three metres high.

The dock’s side berthing panel – called a dolphin – was also damaged.

“We’ve done temporary repairs to the berth and that was completed on Sunday night, so that berth is back to full operation,” Marshall said.

Marshall did not have a figure for the total cost of repairs, but confirmed the corporation is investigating what led the incident. The investigation will take about 30 days and will include interviewing crew members, checking the ship’s mechanical and communication systems, plus weather and terminal conditions at the time of the mishap.

The Transportation Safety Board is also investigating.

The Transportation Safety Board investigates two to three per cent of the 3,500 transportation incidents and accidents reported to it each year.