Police in Nanaimo investigate the scene of the shooting that claimed the life of Craig Andrew Ford in 2016. The B.C. Coroners Service has announced an inquest into the death will be held in July. (News Bulletin file photo)

Coroners inquest called for 2016 death of Nanaimo man shot by police

B.C. Coroners Service inquest will look into the shooting death of Craig Andrew Ford

A coroners inquest has been scheduled to look into the death of Craig Andrew Ford.

Ford, who was reportedly wielding a knife in a fast food restaurant, was shot by police and died of his injuries in June 2016 after officers encountered him on Country Club Drive near St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church.

An Independent Investigations Office of B.C. probe cleared the RCMP member who shot Ford of any wrongdoing in December 2017, but under the Coroners Act inquests are mandatory for any deaths that occur while a person is detained by or in the custody of a peace officer.

A B.C. Coroners Service information bulletin, released Thursday, Jan. 9, said the inquest is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. July 27 at the Nanaimo courthouse.

An inquest is a formal process that allows for public presentation of evidence relating to a death.

Presiding coroner Michael Egilson and a jury will hear evidence from witnesses under oath to determine the facts surrounding this death, the bulletin noted.

The jury will have the opportunity to make recommendations aimed at preventing deaths under similar circumstances. While the jury will also certify the identity of the deceased and how, where, when and by what means death occurred, they will not make any finding of legal responsibility or express any conclusion of law, according to the bulletin.

For more information about inquests, please visit https://bit.ly/37ROhuU.



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Drive-in movie screenings next week will benefit Nanaimo food bank

Fortis B.C. and Fresh Air Cinema holding fundraisers at Woodgrove Centre

Nanaimo barber looks at new style for back-to-school fundraiser

Dave Lawrence of That 50’s Barber Shop getting tattoo in Fresh Start promo on Aug. 17

Neighbours try to clean up around nuisance drug house on Milton Street in Nanaimo

560 Milton St. was declared a nuisance property last month

RDN Transit requiring masks for most come end of month

Masks, hand sanitizer to be handed out in Regional District of Nanaimo mask policy campaign

Vancouver Island films sought for One Minute Mobile Movie Challenge

All entries to be screened online in virtual film festival

371 British Columbians battling COVID-19, health officials confirm

Thursday (Aug. 6) saw a second straight day of nearly 50 new confirmed cases

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 5

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

RCMP looking for missing teen in Comox Valley

Jenessa Shacter was last seen going for a walk in downtown Courtenay

B.C. wildfire crews have battled 111 blazes in the last seven days

Twenty-nine fires remain active, as of Friday (Aug 7)

‘We don’t make the rules’: Okanagan pub owner says staff harassed over pandemic precautions

‘If you have six people plus a baby, guess what? That’s seven’ - West Kelowna Kelly O’Bryan’s owner

Remembering Brent Carver: A legend of Broadway who kept his B.C. roots strong

Over the years, the Cranbrook thespian earned his place as one of Canada’s greatest actors

Statistics Canada says country gained 419,000 jobs in July

National unemployment rate was 10.9 per cent in July, down from the 12.3 per cent recorded in June

Canada plans $3.6 billion in retaliatory tariffs on U.S. in aluminium dispute

The new Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that replaced NAFTA went into force on July 1

Canada ‘profoundly concerned’ over China death sentence for citizen in drug case

Police later confiscated more than 120 kilograms of the drug from Xu Weihong’s home

Most Read