City seeks court order ahead of Colliery protest

NANAIMO – City officials take pre-emptive action to kill planned civil disobedience at Colliery Dam Park.

City officials are taking pre-emptive action to kill planned civil disobedience at Colliery Dam Park before it begins by filing for a court injunction.

Last month, Dave Cutts, local coordinator for Veterans of Clayoquot, said he was planning to organize a group of people to occupy the lower dam at the park after council voted to remove the dams as a safeguard to potential catastrophic flooding.

Cutts has indicated he already has dozens of people willing to take action to occupy the park, which has prompted the city to seek a court injunction through B.C. Supreme Court to prevent the group from delaying the removal of the dams.

Work to drain the two lakes and remove the dams is expected to begin in July when water levels are at their lowest, which has prompted strong opposition from the community that views Colliery Dam Park as a vital asset to south end neighbourhoods. Cutts said he is surprised the city is seeking a court injunction this early in the process and, with a court date set for Monday (June 10), will seek a continuance to give him an opportunity to secure legal counsel.

“We didn’t anticipate this at this stage,” said Cutts. “We figured they’d layer us with $150 bylaw tickets first because there is easily a dozen bylaws that we would allegedly be breaking. We think it’s a safe bet that the judge will rule that since we haven’t done a thing in the park, that there are no signs or fences up, no work has started in the park, that it is simply a bully-boy tactic by five members of council who voted to remove the dams.”

Randy Churchill, the city’s manager of bylaw and security, said the pre-emptive measure to seek the injunction is rooted in public safety and that any attempt to delay the removal of the dams could potentially put citizens at risk should the dams fail.

“Because of the time constraints involved and the work we have to get done within that time frame, and because of the information posted by those who would try to prevent that work from being done, we have to take this action so we can continue with the removal that’s required,” said Churchill.

If the city receives the injunction, it would allow for the removal and arrest of people who interfere with the dam removal process through criminal contempt. Even if the injunction is not granted, occupiers can, at the very least, be ticketed $150 for bylaw infractions or, if the city chooses, be removed by police and charged under the Criminal Code.

“Hopefully this process involves nothing,” said Churchill. “Hopefully people become learned as to what’s in the newspaper, look at our website, make a determination that there is a life safety issue and make a decision not to [occupy the park].”

He added that if the injunction application fails this time and citizens do occupy the park, future attempts will be made to secure an injunction.

Over the past 20 years, Veterans of Clayoquot has been successful in defending the War of the Woods at Clayoquot, Cathedral Grove, worked to relocate the Nanaimo Parkway away from the lower dam at Colliery Dam Park, and saved part of Mount Benson from being clear cut.

In the War of the Woods, which climaxed in 1993, 859 people were arrested and sent to trial.

“How nice, just how I wanted to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the War of the Woods,” said Cutts.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

City of Nanaimo reports on its salaries, expenses and payments

Municipality files statement of financial information with B.C. government

City of Nanaimo challenges families to Instagram their park explorations

ParkIt challenge set up to offer prizes to cap off days at the park

Nanaimo RCMP want speeding motorists to ‘slow the blazes down’

Police raise alarm after seeing 400-per cent rise in excessive speeding tickets last month

Top central Vancouver Island health official retires

Island Health says Dr. Paul Hasselback’s replacement to be named shortly

17-year-old girl from Nanaimo reported missing

RCMP asking for help finding Trisha Harry

B.C. identifies 20 new COVID-19 cases, travellers specified in count

Pandemic total 3,028 cases, 51 people from outside Canada

Campaign aims to raise $50K for young family of deceased Vancouver Island skydiver

James Smith, 34, died July 5 following incident in Nanoose Bay

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

B.C. ports part of data integration project to protect marine ecosystems

The $1.2 M federally funded program will draw crucial baseline data from Canada’s three coastlines

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Jamie Bacon pleads guilty to charge in Surrey Six case

The plea brings an end to a complex legal case that has spanned more than a decade

World’s biggest Nanaimo bar confirmed, but it’s not in Nanaimo

Two Ontario children set the bar high with successful biggest Nanaimo bar world record attempt

Hefty undeclared driver charges piling up, ICBC warns customers

Average extra penalty $2,971 after an at-fault accident

Most Read