Blasting needed to move sewer line

Windley Contracting Ltd. has been awarded a $412,028 contract to relocate the sewer line at the Regional District of Nanaimo landfill.

Windley Contracting Ltd. has been awarded a $412,028 contract to relocate the sewer line at the Regional District of Nanaimo landfill.

The line is currently located on landfill property and according to Larry Gardner, regional district manager of solid waste, it will be moved to a right-of-way on Cedar Road. Windley was awarded the tender as its bid represented the lowest out of all proponents.

Work will require deep excavation, including blasting to remove a significant amount of rock. A $50,000 contingency will be available to cover any unforeseen issues

“All we did in the report to the board was just to advise them that because of the complexity with this project, there’s some added risk and we’re just identifying that there is the potential for cost overruns, because there are some things we don’t know, but what we believe is that we don’t anticipate them to exceed that $50,000,” Gardner said.

George Hrabowych, project manager with Herold Engineering Ltd., who acted as consultant to the regional district, said the blasting is standard and will be done to create a trench.

“Generally it’s a deep excavation, it’s about eight metres and there is in places, seven metres of rock, so [Windley Contracting] will be employing a blaster and all work is done in accordance with industry standards, B.C. regulations and [WorkSafe B.C.],” said Hrabowych, adding the impact on traffic on Cedar Road will be minimal.

“The only implication is it will stop traffic,” Hrabowych said. “Before they blast there will be a two-minute warning and the thing will boom and [they] will let traffic go again.”

Construction is expected to begin on Sept. 15 and last 17 weeks.

reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Reconciliation requires that all parties have a voice

Pipeline protests by the hereditary chiefs and their supporters have legitimacy, says letter writer

Oak Bay wins Vancouver Island basketball championship in Nanaimo

Third-place NDSS will get to challenge second place Claremont for a berth in provincials

Nanaimo drag queen Rick Meyers receives Victoria drag group’s highest honour

Queen City Sisterhood to bestow ‘sainthood’ upon ‘the divine’ Vicki Smudge

Qualicum Beach approves Pheasant Glen zoning amendment

Majority of residents who spoke at public hearing endorsed proposed amendment bylaw

Make your house a home at Nanaimo spring home expo

Building renovation and decor show taking place at Beban Park till Feb. 23

Governor general says multiple solutions needed for ‘complicated’ overdose issue

Julie Payette met at a fire hall with firefighters and police officers as well as politicians and health experts

Violent ends to past Indigenous protests haunt Trudeau government

Trudeau adopted a more assertive tone Friday, insisting the barricade must come down

VIDEO: Wounded Warrior Run leaves Port Hardy on eight-day trek down Vancouver island

The team’s fundraising goal this year is $250,000, which is double last year’s goal.

HIGHLIGHTS: Day one and two at the 2020 BC Winter Games

Athletes had sunny – but cold – weather to work with in Fort St. John

BC Senior Curling titles to be decided in Vernon

Wes Craig, Penny Shantz looking for fifth championships; Steve Wright, Donna Mychaluk into finals

B.C. money laundering inquiry to begin amid hopes for answers, accountability

Eby argued that most B.C. residents already know the previous government, at best, turned a blind eye

Blockades remain in place as Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs returning to B.C.

Hereditary Chief Woos said they are ready to engage in nation-to-nation talks with the B.C.

Most Read