(Unsplash)

B.C. mom wins daycare contract fight after kids insulted in text message

Operator had tried to sue for $1,800 when mom pulled her children without giving 30 days’ notice

Warning: The language in this story may be offensive to some readers.

A mom who pulled her kids out of daycare after the operator called her children a swear word will not have to pay for breaking a contract, a B.C. civil claims tribunal has ruled.

In a judgment released Wednesday, tribunal member Kate Campbell said the daycare breached the standard of “safe and professional care” when it referred to the children as “a**holes [sic]”.

As a result, the mother does not have to pay an $1,800 fee for removing them in November 2017 without 30 days’ notice.

The full names of the parents, the name and location of the daycare, and the name of the operator were not included in the decision to preserve the children’s anonymity.

At issue was a text message the daycare operator had sent: “Looks like Hanna and dylan took the say [sic] off and gave me the a**holes.”

Hannah and Dylan are the kids’ parents, according to the daycare contract.

It is not clear when the text message was sent or who was the recipient. The mother provided a screenshot of it.

The operator denied sending that exact message, Campbell wrote, but could not provide evidence that it wasn’t sent, or that it did not contain that word.

In evidence provided to the tribunal, the operator described the events leading up to the children not returning to daycare.

“After receiving this text, Hanna cried to me, unburdened herself to me regarding her personal life and work, hugged me and left her children at my home until 3 p.m.,” she said.

“I did not kick Hanna out, she chose to not come back the next day knowing abruptly withdrawing would incur charges as well as the remainder of her monthly payment along with the burden of looking for new care.”

Campbell said since it was the daycare operator suing the parents for $1,800, the burden of proof was on the operator who admitted a text was sent, and was unable to prove it was not offensive.

“I find it is an implicit term of any childcare agreement that the childcare provider provide safe and professional care to children,” she wrote, “and referring to children as assholes, even outside of their presence, does not meet that standard.”


@katslepian

katya.slepian@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

South Wellington community association hopes to save old school from demolition

Nanaimo school district staff to report on fate of South Wellington Elementary later this month

Black Lives solidarity demonstration fills Nanaimo park

Anti-racism protest held at Maffeo Sutton Park on Friday afternoon

Nanaimo RCMP seek help locating missing indigenous youth

Family of William Baker worries he’s in company of people putting him at risk

Nanaimo man wanted on assault warrants

John Bates wanted following two separate incidents from earlier this year

Stz’uminus motivational speaker and musician named ‘emerging cultural leader’ in Nanaimo

Patrick Aleck is among the recipients of the city’s Culture and Heritage Awards

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

Kelowna Mountie who punched suspect identified, condemned by sister

‘How did he get away with this? How is this justifiable?’

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park at large

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

No charges to be laid against 22 northern B.C. pipeline protesters

Twenty-two people were arrested in February, but Crown has decided not to pursue charges

B.C. starts to see employment return under COVID-19 rules

Jobless rate for young people still over 20% in May

Parcel stolen from front porch, Nanaimo RCMP looking for suspect

Unidentified woman allegedly stole package containing $400 smart watch

Most Read