UPDATE: Ferry sailing cancelled due to death onboard Queen of Oak Bay

B.C. Ferries vessel was held in Departure Bay as police investigated

Ferry travel was delayed this morning after a death onboard the Queen of Oak Bay.

A man’s body was found by ferry workers as the vessel landed in Nanaimo at approximately 8 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 27, according to a press release from RCMP.

“The death is not considered criminal in nature,” the release noted.

Police investigators could be seen aboard the ferry talking with crew and taking photographs, but had little information to share initially.

“We’re investigating a sudden death onboard a B.C. ferry,” said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman. “Right now we’re just trying to determine the cause.”

B.C. Ferries released a service notice advising it had cancelled the Queen of Oak Bay’s next round-trip sailing “due to a medical emergency experienced by one of our customers, which required immediate attention.”

The Queen of Oak Bay was held in Departure Bay and an announcement to passengers onboard advised that they would not be allowed to disembark the vessel due to a request from police who were investigating.

“We’ve had a very bad medical emergency,” crew announced to passengers.

As of 9:30 a.m., all passengers were being allowed to begin disembarking.

“We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience as a result of this delay,” noted the B.C. Ferries advisory.

The 10:30 sailing from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay was cancelled.

-files from Adam Kveton/Black Press



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Nanaimo barber looks at new style for back-to-school fundraiser

Dave Lawrence of That 50’s Barber Shop getting tattoo in Fresh Start promo on Aug. 17

Neighbours try to clean up around nuisance drug house on Milton Street in Nanaimo

560 Milton St. was declared a nuisance property last month

RDN Transit requiring masks for most come end of month

Masks, hand sanitizer to be handed out in Regional District of Nanaimo mask policy campaign

Vancouver Island films sought for One Minute Mobile Movie Challenge

All entries to be screened online in virtual film festival

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Have a heart when it comes to homelessness

When we de-humanize people, it’s easier to be cruel to them, says letter writer

371 British Columbians battling COVID-19, health officials confirm

Thursday (Aug. 6) saw a second straight day of nearly 50 new confirmed cases

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 5

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Cowichan RCMP use spike belts to end car chase — man in custody

The driver was arrested at the scene a short distance from his vehicle

COVID-19 tests come back negative for remote First Nation

“There are no suspected cases in the community at this time.”

Answers to 5 common questions facing families for the COVID-19 school year

COVID-19 protocols are likely to vary even more at the school board level, and even and school-to-school.

Visitors and non-residents entering closed remote B.C. First Nation’s territories

With limited resources, they say they don’t have any authority or power to enforce the closures

UBC loses appeal on Fisheries Act convictions

BC Supreme Court upholds order to pay $1.55-million fine

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

Most Read