Work on the former A&B Sound building to comply with a safety and security order, issued by the city following complaints about homeless people camping around the structure, could begin as early as next week. (News Bulletin file photo)

Alcoves to be boarded up at A&B Sound building

Work could start next week to meet city safety and security order

The owner of the former A&B Sound building at the corner of Commercial Street and Terminal Avenue will board up the building’s alcoves and hire an engineering firm to study the building’s structural integrity.

Both actions resulted from an order to remediate fire and safety hazards that was issued by Nanaimo Fire Rescue last week after homeless people set up camps in the building’s exterior doorways and alcoves and the camps were removed by the city.

Alan Millbank, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said Thursday, March 8, that Steiner Properties has hired a contractor to board over the building’s exterior nooks and crannies and work could start as early as next week.

As for the engineering study, Millbank said the building owner will have to hire an engineering firm and have a scope of the work to be done drawn up, which will have to be approved by the city so a permit can be issued to do the work.

Millbank said Steiner Properties responded the day he issued the safety order.

“I expect I’ll have some action starting next week sometime,” Millbank said. “That’s for the board-up part. The structural stuff is probably going to take a little longer. I don’t expect that’s going to happen for at least a month or six weeks.”



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Youth council chairman wants to move up to Nanaimo city council

Michael Ribicic declares candidacy in fall’s local government election

Tilray shares show gains in opening trading

Investors buy, sell in rush on stock offered by Nanaimo-based cannabis producer

‘Extremely heavy’ bench stolen from Nanaimo park

Distinctive bench taken from Morden Colliery Historic Provincial Park

B.C. Supreme Court issues fire safety order for Discontent City

Discontent City has one week to comply with fire order

Ex-Nanaimo man convicted of 1999 sex assault at Abbotsford music festival

James Allen Redden, 50, found guilty of three charges

Through your lens: Okanagan wildfires

Check out some of the captivating images and video from social media of the wildfires

Beefs & Bouquets, July 19

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

UPDATED: Cougar shot by police in Nanaimo

Shooting occurred in water at Nanaimo Yacht Club at about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday

NRE will sell its land, plans for a new depot there are ‘over’

Nanaimo Recycling Exchange board decides to sell Kenworth Road property

Canadian government threatens to retaliate if Trump imposes auto tariffs

U.S president had suggested that auto imports pose a national security risk to the U.S.

Wildfire evacuation order forces bride to search for new wedding venue

Fitzpatrick Family Vineyards is under an order due to the Mount Eneas wildfire south of Peachland

Recent online kitten abuse video raises serious social media questions

UBC and UFV profs weigh in on the subject of online sharing, shaming, and our digital landscape

UPDATED: ICBC fights back against claims that it’s ‘ripping off’ B.C. RV drivers

Canadian Taxpayers Federation is urging the provincial government to open up ICBC to competition

Summerland issues State of Local Emergency in response to wildfire

Two homes under evacuation order; evacuation alert remains in place as result of wildfire

Most Read