The Port Theatre is closing down for the remainder of 2020.
On Dec. 1 the venue announced in a press release that although a provincewide restriction on social gatherings is set to expire on Dec. 7, it anticipates that the order could be extended due to rising COVID-19 case numbers and as a result it will remain closed until the end of December.
“For the good of our community and due to complications in preparing safely for upcoming performances, we have made the decision to close the Port Theatre to the public until the new year,” the release said.
Concerts featuring Eric Harper and Ken Lavigne, originally set for Nov. 27 and Dec. 6 respectively, have already been postponed to Feb. 19 and March 13. The theatre announced that a performance by ballet dancer Jillian Vanstone planned for Dec. 12 will also be rescheduled to a later date.
“The Nanaimo community has been so supportive and to those who have already purchased tickets, we thank you. We look forward to sharing our exciting production with audiences when it is safe to do so,” Vanstone said in the release.
Port Theatre general manager Bruce Halliday said that the venue has so far responded to the pandemic by offering its events in ways that adhere to COVID-19 guidelines.
“We have invested in excellent live-streaming technology and trained our staff in new ways because our industry is evolving,” he said in the release. “Showcasing important artistic work in a time of a pandemic, bringing some of the very best to our community and streaming it back out to the world, is inspiring and uplifting.”
Refunds will be available for all cancelled and rescheduled events, noted the release. Those with questions or concerns are welcome to e-mail email@example.com.