Ultimate club play until midnight during nationwide game

Nanaimo takes part in Art Hawkins Great Canadian Ultimate Game June 16.

Take a mix of soccer and football, add a Frisbee and you have the game of ultimate.

Organize the sport into one nationwide, 28-hour marathon, and you have the Art Hawkins Great Canadian Ultimate Game.

The third annual Hawkins starts in Yellowknife Friday (June 15) at 7 p.m., crosses the country and winds up 28 hours later in Victoria.

Every hour, players in a different city plays for either the Red or the White team. At the end of the hour, the score is passed on to the next city on the schedule, and the game continues where it left off.

Last year’s game ended 271 to 269 for the Red team.

The game rolls through Nanaimo June 15 with Red and White taking to Merle Logan Field from 11 p.m. to midnight.

Donations for the game are welcome through Ultimate Canada’s website, www.canadianultimate.com – or e-mail Nanaimo Ultimate at nua.info@gmail.com – in support of charity.

This year the Red team represents Ultimate Peace, and the Boys and Girl Club of Canada is the charity of choice for the White team. The winning team’s charity receives 60 per cent of the money raised by the event while the other team’s charity receives 40 per cent.  Last year more than $8,000 was raised.

“Ultimate Canada is proud to support two great charities that teach youth to take personal responsibility for their actions, exhibit mutual respect towards others and uphold the principle of fair play,” said Danny Saunders, executive director of Ultimate Canada.

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up