Crime prevention is the responsibility of everyone. Incorporating simple but effective tips will not only reduce the risk of being a victim of crime but also make a home and community safer.
Nanaimo RCMP released its top 10 crime prevention tips.
* Report suspicious activity to the police. The police need your help in solving crime.
* Be aware of your surroundings and always be alert. Many crimes could easily be averted if people recognized the early warning signs.
* Target harden your home. Look at it as if you were a criminal. Remove and eliminate opportunities to break in.
* Keep your property clean. It shows ownership and criminals will shy away from it.
* Have a monitored alarm installed.
* Lock your doors. Fifty percent of all car break-ins and the majority of home break-ins are through unlocked doors and windows.
* Keep valuables in your car out of sight. The old adage, out of sight out of mind, applies here.
* Carry only what you need in your purse and wallet.
* Get to know your neighbours. Join or start a Block Watch. Go to www.blockwatch.com to learn more.
* Do not provide any personal information to anyone who contacts you by phone or e-mail.