The Nanaimo Timbermen’s upcoming season is even more of a rebuild, now, after another major trade. The senior A lacrosse club dealt Cory Conway to the Victoria Shamrocks on Tuesday for first- and third-round draft picks in 2015.
Conway was fifth in Western Lacrosse Association scoring last season with 68 points in 16 games. The right-handed forward is from Victoria.
“He’d indicated to us that he wasn’t wanting to come back this year; he wanted to stay in Victoria. He didn’t like the commute,” said Earl Nicholson, Timbermen general manager.
The GM said the T-men have been trying to compile picks in anticipation of strong drafts the next two years. For this coming season, Nicholson is working on a trade to bring in another scorer, someone he has been coveting for some time.
Without Conway and former MVP Scott Ranger, who was traded to the Shamrocks earlier this off-season, new coach Kaleb Toth will be working with a much more inexperienced group of forwards.
“But to go with that, you get a whole bunch of enthusiasm and hard work and guys wanting to make a name for themself,” the GM said.
The T-men open camp Wednesday (April 17) at the Nanaimo Ice Centre.