Senior B Nanaimo Timbermen player Steve MacFarlane creates a scoring opportunity in transition during Saturday’s WCSLA game against the Valley Rebels at Frank Crane Arena. (GREG SAKAKI/The News Bulletin)

Senior B Nanaimo Timbermen overpowering in home opener

Re/Max T-men defeat Valley Rebels 18-2 in first game of WCSLA lacrosse season

The senior B Timbermen, a top contender, were way too much for their opening-night opponent.

The Re/Max Nanaimo Timbermen defeated the Valley Rebels 18-2 in the first game of the West Coast Senior Lacrosse Association season Saturday at Frank Crane Arena.

Nanaimo led 6-1 after one period and 15-1 through two, so the third period was played run time. Shots ended up 63-13.

Corey Shires, who scored 10 points, said “it’s hard to tell” where the team is at after a game like that.

“We won, so that’s positive, and it’s a good start,” he said.

Shires said the Timbermen focused on trying to set up their offence and run their systems properly and while there were stretches where the focus wasn’t there, they tried to stay sharp.

“It was nice to play against kind of a weaker team to start just because we’ve got a lot of new guys and we don’t really have as much chemistry with them, so it was nice to get the ball rolling with them and they fit in well,” Shires said.

He led the way with a hat trick and seven assists and Doug Langlois had a hat trick as part of a five-point effort. Jake Mickelson, Alex Henry and Andrew Miller scored two goals each and Nanaimo’s other goals came from Myles Kenny, Joe Fendick, Travis Mickelson, Steve Higgs, Vern Hill, Jr. and Jon Diplock. Cody Cook played goal and only needed to make 11 saves.

GAME ON … The Timbermen and Rebels play a rematch Sunday, May 5, at 5 p.m. at Frank Crane Arena.

READ ALSO: Senior B Timbermen take the floor



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

South Wellington community association hopes to save old school from demolition

Nanaimo school district staff to report on fate of South Wellington Elementary later this month

Black Lives solidarity demonstration fills Nanaimo park

Anti-racism protest held at Maffeo Sutton Park on Friday afternoon

Nanaimo RCMP seek help locating missing indigenous youth

Family of William Baker worries he’s in company of people putting him at risk

Nanaimo man wanted on assault warrants

John Bates wanted following two separate incidents from earlier this year

Stz’uminus motivational speaker and musician named ‘emerging cultural leader’ in Nanaimo

Patrick Aleck is among the recipients of the city’s Culture and Heritage Awards

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

Kelowna Mountie who punched suspect identified, condemned by sister

‘How did he get away with this? How is this justifiable?’

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park at large

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

No charges to be laid against 22 northern B.C. pipeline protesters

Twenty-two people were arrested in February, but Crown has decided not to pursue charges

B.C. starts to see employment return under COVID-19 rules

Jobless rate for young people still over 20% in May

Parcel stolen from front porch, Nanaimo RCMP looking for suspect

Unidentified woman allegedly stole package containing $400 smart watch

Most Read