Nanaimo Clippers forward Preston Brodziak, middle, has been traded to the Cowichan Valley Capitals as part of a six-player deal. NEWS BULLETIN file photo

Clippers and Capitals make six-player trade

General managers Darren Naylor and Mike Vandekamp work out three-for-three swap

Two rival teams in the B.C. Hockey League were able to work together on a recent six-player trade.

The Nanaimo Clippers and the Cowichan Valley Capitals pulled off the deal June 1. Nanaimo will get forwards Nicholas Wilson, Ethan Scardina and Jonathan Stein, while Cowichan will get defenceman David Melaragni and forwards Lucas Vanroboys and Preston Brodziak.

Darren Naylor, Clippers coach and general manager, said he was contacted a few weeks before the trade by Mike Vandekamp, the new coach and GM of the Caps. Vandekamp had a few guys in mind he was hoping to get from Nanaimo.

“It just so happens that he had a bunch of players that I’m familiar with and I’d wanted back,” Naylor said. “I think if you look at it on paper, it’s a trade that nobody comes out ahead on, it’s more or less just putting players where they wanted to be.”

RELATED: Caps coach brings in familiar faces in trade with Clippers

Vandekamp had a similar take on the trade.

“I think it was a trade of a whole bunch of players the coaches on both sides were familiar with,” Vandekamp said. “Probably what started the ball rolling was the familiarity of both coaches with the players involved.”

Wilson is the most experienced veteran in the trade, with more than 100 junior A games under his belt. He scored 10 goals with the caps last year.

“Fans here are going to love him,” Naylor said. “He’s just a high-energy guy. He just works his butt off.”

Scardina scored 14 goals last year and is described as a big centreman who can play in all situations.

Stein is fast and skilled and should especially be able to contribute on the power play.

Naylor added in a press release that the new additions “are 100 per cent committed to the program we’re building they’re all excited about representing Nanaimo and the Clippers.”

The BCHL hasn’t yet released its 2018-19 schedule, but regular season play will begin in early September.

-with files from Kevin Rothbauer/Black Press



sports@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Former Nanaimo CAO Tracy Samra now working for First Nation in Vancouver

Ex-city manager listed as Musqueam chief administrative officer, according to NEB filing

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Citizens have right to protest tent city however they wish

Here’s a reality check to virtue signallers and social justice warriors, says letter writer

Nanaimo city councillor Bill Yoachim to leave municipal politics

Second-highest vote getter in previous civic election will not seek re-election in October

City committee member seeking seat at council table

Erin Hemmens announces she’s running for Nanaimo city council

Nanaimo Lakes fire being held, says B.C. Wildfire Service

Fire’s classification was downgraded today from ‘out of control’

B.C. wildfires 2018: Hazy skies impacting crews in spotting new fires

18,000 people are on an evacuation alert, with 3,000 homes under an evacuation order

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 16

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Red Cross now accepting donations for those impacted by B.C. wildfires

The Canadian Red Cross is asking for help now and in the weeks and months ahead.

Court rules against City of Nanaimo, fire safety enforcement order denied

Supreme Court of B.C. initially made the order last month in Nanaimo

B.C. program to educate parents reduces ‘shaken baby syndrome’ by 35%

Period of PURPLE Crying was launched nearly a decade ago

UPDATED: Vancouver Island community under evacuation alert due to wildfire

BC Wildfire Service says steep terrain near Zeballos poses challenge as “out of control” wildfire approaches homes

B.C. golfer, just 23, scores the rare albatross

Six-million-to-one shot a first for the Terrace club

Fredericton widow swears at Trudeau during condolence call

Widow of man killed in Fredericton shooting says she swore at Trudeau during condolence call.

Most Read