Boston Red Sox fire manager

Red Sox fire manager John Farrell after 2nd straight ALDS defeat

The Boston Red Sox fired manager John Farrell on Wednesday after the team’s second straight loss in the AL Division Series.

The Red Sox announced the move less than 48 hours after they were eliminated from the playoffs with a 5-4 loss to the Houston Astros. Farrell’s contract had been scheduled to run through the 2018 season.

Boston won back-to-back American League East titles for the first time in franchise history this season despite losing the bat of retired slugger David Ortiz. It also did it despite starting the season with $217 million pitcher David Price on the disabled list and watching as 2016 Cy Young Award winner Rick Porcello stumbled to an 11-17 record.

Farrell managed the team to its eighth World Series title in 2013, his first season. But he found himself under a harsh spotlight each of the last two seasons after exits in the division series of the post-season.

Farrell went 432-378 over five seasons with Boston. He managed Toronto for two seasons before that and went 154-170.

Farrell said after losing to the Astros that the team didn’t meet its goals but had some good young players continue to develop.

“We had a number of challenges thrown our way from individual injuries to performance,” he said. “But as a team they stuck together.”

The offence slumped after Ortiz retired, even though the team had baseball’s third-highest payroll. Several players also struggled with health issues, including second baseman Dustin Pedroia and pitcher Drew Pomeranz.

Farrell began his coaching career with Boston as a pitching coach from 2007-2010. He was part of the team’s 2007 World Series title.

___

More AP baseball: https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball

The Associated Press

 

Just Posted

Nanaimo helping to stage B.C. Games

Synchronized swimming to be held in Nanaimo Aquatic Centre as Cowichan Valley hosts event

Thieves can’t steal Nanaimo’s tubbing spirit

Thieves pilfer motors, but good friends and hard work get tubbers back on course

Group raising money to stop Parksville supportive housing project

GoFundMe page has $15K for lawyer fees raised since July 8

Youth council chairman wants to move up to Nanaimo city council

Michael Ribicic declares candidacy in fall’s local government election

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Strategic planning needed in Nanaimo school district

I find it ironic that the school expansion comes on the heels of recent school closure decisions

BC Games: Dance, spoken-word highlights at Opening Ceremony in Cowichan

Hundreds of athletes and thousands of volunteers, coaches, parents and officials

Beefs & Bouquets, July 19

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Final arguments made at tent city hearing, court won’t rule immediately

Lawyer says City of Nanaimo is concerned occupants would consume hand sanitizer

B.C. city wants pot punted from farmland

Concerned about conversion from growing food to making marijuana

UPDATED: Cougar shot by police in Nanaimo

Shooting occurred in water at Nanaimo Yacht Club at about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday

NRE will sell its land, plans for a new depot there are ‘over’

Nanaimo Recycling Exchange board decides to sell Kenworth Road property

World’s translators push back on forcing Trump interpreter to testify

Democrats had asked translator to testify about Trump’s lengthy conversation with Putin in Helsinki

No decision on B.C. school stabbing suspect’s mental fitness for trial

The BC Review Board could not determine whether Gabriel Klein, 21, is fit to stand trial

Canadian government threatens to retaliate if Trump imposes auto tariffs

U.S president had suggested that auto imports pose a national security risk to the U.S.

Most Read