Port to blame for cruise ship slowdown

Only two cruise liners will dock at our pricey new terminal this season and its marketing manager says they are not to blame.

To the Editor,

Re: Cruise ship market changing, cutting visits to Nanaimo port, Jan. 16.

Is the Nanaimo Port Authority out of it?

Only two cruise liners will dock at our pricey new terminal this season and its marketing manager says they are not to blame. He puts the fault on the cruise companies for changing their itineraries and he admits Nanaimo is simply a repositioning port and just an optional destination. What? We’re a throwaway port and you didn’t figure this out before spending $24 million of tax money.

In contrast, a whopping 214 vessels will be pulling into Victoria’s Ogden Point this year compared with 203 last year. And 244 ships will be docking in Vancouver, up from 235.

Bottom line, the Nanaimo Port Authority blew it.

It spent tens of millions of our provincial and federal dollars and constructed a dock, a welcome centre and spiffy new second floor administration offices on the waterfront where they can sit back and enjoy stupendous views, eat their lunch outside and even put a fishing pole in the water.

You may recall the port authority and other government types flew to cruise conventions, looked at tropic ports, and reported back that dozens of ships would soon be setting course for Nanaimo bars.

Now, three years later the terminal is a bust. Port authority staff admits ships are heading elsewhere because there’s not much for passengers to do here.

It has all been government hype from wannabe captains who are playing with other people’s money – ours.

R.C. StearmanNanaimo

 

To the Editor,

Re: Cruise ship market changing, cutting visits to Nanaimo port, Jan. 16.

I think people are missing the point about the lack of ships at the new cruise ship terminal.

The city talked up the cruise ship business on behalf of the Nanaimo Port Authority, because the terminal was really an excuse to build a brand-new, award-winning waterfront office with ocean views from every window.

Now the port authority has its new office, and I think they could honestly care less whether any ships come or not. In fact, cruise ships would only block the view and they would also mean long lines of people filing through the lower part of their office.

Brendan MillbankNanaimo

Just Posted

Nanaimo Art Gallery exhibition aims to bridge generations

‘Across the Table’ features work that highlights artistic and cultural family connections

Dover Bay high school principal named an assistant superintendent

Don Balcombe, Dover Bay Secondary principal, to assume assistant super role effective August

Candidates face questions on Nanaimo doorsteps about supportive housing and crime

Federal candidates asked about social issues on campaign trail

Liberals say Nanaimo’s port important to economic diversification

Transport Minister Marc Garneau campaigned in Nanaimo-Ladysmith on Wednesday

Editorial: Byelection riding boundaries are simpler this time

Nanaimo-Ladysmith byelection will be held May 6 to choose a new MP for the riding

Nanaimo’s A Cappella Plus choir presents gems from the ’60s and ’70s

‘Remember When’ show is Sunday, April 28, at the Shaw Auditorium

Beefs & Bouquets, April 25

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Island-born Snowbirds pilot enjoying homecoming in skies over Comox

Logan Reid once stood clinging onto the fence outside the Comox Air… Continue reading

Attack on student in Courtenay ‘way more than bullying’, says mom

A Comox Valley mother said “it was way more than bullying” at… Continue reading

Vancouver man, 19, charged in human trafficking case involving teen girl

The 16-year-old girl was reported missing and later discovered in Vancouver

Amber alert issued for 5-year-old Ontario boy

Ethan Montes is believed to be in the company of his mother, 47-year-old Juliet Mohammed

First Nanaimo-Ladysmith all-candidates’ meeting is today

Six candidates expected to debate issues Thursday, April 25, at the Beban Park social centre

Departure Bay Eco-School students calling for old cellphones

Grade 7 students at Nanaimo school taking part in Recycle My Cell Earth Month Challenge

Most Read