LETTER TO THE EDITOR: City victimizing victims at Discontent City

City of Nanaimo needs to take homelessness crisis seriously, says letter writer

To the editor,

In the middle of our homeless crisis it is disturbing to watch Nanaimo city council pile out of the clown car after a recent trip to crazy town. Seemingly incapable of forming a plan to allow Nanaimo to move forward with a $7-million grant of provincial funding which would have created much-needed affordable housing in Nanaimo. Many are now living on the streets due to this act of pure irresponsibility which inspired the first tent city protest on the lawns of Nanaimo City Hall.

In a desperate attempt to evict tent city residents, city hall asked the Supreme Court to fast-track the case. Once again victimizing the victims they helped create by dropping the ball on affordable housing grants.

The City of Victoria has taken their homeless crisis seriously and has secured $90 million from all three levels of government to try and make homelessness history in the city. Let’s stop acting childish, put on our big boy pants and follow Victoria’s lead and make homelessness history in Nanaimo.

Dave Koop, Nanaimo

RELATED: Final arguments made at tent city hearing, court won’t rule immediately

RELATED: Discontent City argues that it’s keeping occupants safe

RELATED: Hearing begins to determine fate of Nanaimo’s Discontent City


The views and opinions expressed in this letter to the editor are those of the writer and do not reflect the views of Black Press or the Nanaimo News Bulletin. If you have a different view, we encourage you to write to us or contribute to the discussion below.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

City reviewing plans for huge Sandstone project in south Nanaimo

Seacliff Properties says it’s been told to be ready for a public hearing this fall

Ferry riders say lower fares are what’s most needed to improve service

Provincial government announces findings of public engagement process

COVID-19 isn’t cancelling this year’s Tour de Rock

Alumni riders will cycle relay sections in their own communities

POLL: Can B.C. hold a provincial election safely during a pandemic?

Can B.C. hold a provincial election safely during a pandemic?… Continue reading

Trail proposed to connect Cedar and Yellow Point

Regional director says project fits with active transportation goals

POLL: Can B.C. hold a provincial election safely during a pandemic?

Can B.C. hold a provincial election safely during a pandemic?… Continue reading

Nanaimo RCMP community policing needs a few good volunteers

Volunteers needed to help Nanaimo RCMP and city deliver crime prevention and safety programs

Protesters march in Nanaimo, calling for greater protection of forests and watersheds

March for the Forests happened downtown on Friday afternoon

City of Nanaimo begins project planning for multimillion-dollar public works yard upgrades

Councillors vote to reallocate $200,000 to develop architectural concepts and cost estimates

Nanaimo residents ticketed for putting out garbage bins the night before pickup

Conservation officers say they issued seven tickets this week, as warnings weren’t having an impact

Accused in Makayla Chang’s murder sees next court date in October

Steven Michael Bacon faces first-degree murder charge in killing of Nanaimo teen

Regional District of Nanaimo looks to create its own flag

Staff created makeshift flag earlier this year for a conference that ended up getting cancelled

Nanaimo senior defrauded out of $14,000 in ‘grandson scam’

80-year-old victim was told her grandson was out-of-province and in legal trouble

VIDEO: B.C. to launch mouth-rinse COVID-19 test for kids

Test involves swishing and gargling saline in mouth and no deep-nasal swab

Most Read