Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and chief public health officer Theresa Tam. (B.C. government photo and Canadian Press/Adrian Wyld)

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Adaptation, not blame, required in COVID-19 crisis

Analysis must be about finding out what happened and prevent it happening again, says letter writer

To the editor,

As a retired media relations communicator with a 30-year background and extensive hands-on experience in crisis situations at local, national and international events, I offer the following commentary.

I give high ratings to the many people who are providing our information flow on a daily basis. The medical community and its relevant experts are giving sage advice and direction at all levels. Their messaging is consistent and as accurate as possible, especially given the rapidly changing information landscape – well done.

As we all go on our own individual, and collective, paths through this crisis, we have to realize that the medical experts and political leaders are not only taking care of us and our needs but are dealing with their own personal lives at the same time.

The end of this current issue will come, and a multitude of post-event analyses will take place. The military system I served in had a post-aircraft incident investigation and analysis process that sought to determine what and why something went wrong. It was designed to find out what happened, not to assign blame, and to make recommendations for changes to help ensure that the same thing would not repeat itself. The coming post-pandemic analyses have to take that direction too. They need to focus on how to do it better the next time, not to focus on assigning fault at the political or response levels. An old military adage says that no plan for battle survives first contact with the enemy. You have to be able to adapt rapidly as changing data dictate a different approach to the conflict.

I have begun to observe a growing tendency to try to find fault with the local, provincial and national COVID-19 responses. Stop doing that. It is a time for all of us to do our own best to cope and to safely get back to our daily lives. Those lives will have changed as they have in past crises – adapt and move on.

Maj. (Ret’d) Robin Alford, Nanaimo

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: COVID-19 symptoms must be taken seriously

READ ALSO: Stay informed about COVID-19


The views and opinions expressed in this letter to the editor are those of the writer and do not reflect the views of Black Press or the Nanaimo News Bulletin. If you have a different view, we encourage you to write to us or contribute to the discussion below.

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Black Lives solidarity demonstration fills Nanaimo park

Anti-racism protest held at Maffeo Sutton Park on Friday afternoon

Nanaimo RCMP seek help locating missing indigenous youth

Family of William Baker worries he’s in company of people putting him at risk

Nanaimo man wanted on assault warrants

John Bates wanted following two separate incidents from earlier this year

Stz’uminus motivational speaker and musician named ‘emerging cultural leader’ in Nanaimo

Patrick Aleck is among the recipients of the city’s Culture and Heritage Awards

Plan in place for B.C. Ferries to start increasing service levels

Ferry corporation reaches temporary service level agreement with province

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

Kelowna Mountie who punched suspect identified, condemned by sister

‘How did he get away with this? How is this justifiable?’

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park at large

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

No charges to be laid against 22 northern B.C. pipeline protesters

Twenty-two people were arrested in February, but Crown has decided not to pursue charges

B.C. starts to see employment return under COVID-19 rules

Jobless rate for young people still over 20% in May

Parcel stolen from front porch, Nanaimo RCMP looking for suspect

Unidentified woman allegedly stole package containing $400 smart watch

Most Read