Editorial: Cedar school far from filled

The re-opening of Cedar Community Secondary School became a lot harder for Nanaimo school trustees to justify.

There’s an old saying: You can never go home again.

The re-opening of Cedar Community Secondary School became a lot harder for trustees to justify last week, after Nanaimo school district revealed that only 200 students intend to enrol next fall. That’s a tiny high school population, and it’s less than half the facility’s capacity.

The lack of interest in re-enrolling at Cedar is understandable. A year ago, students and their families were forced to choose between John Barsby or Ladysmith secondary. Moving schools is tough for a teen, but the kids managed it, made friends and made the best of things. Is it any wonder that there would be a hesitancy, now, to relocate again and start over? And keep in mind, this is after just one full school year. It stands to reason that by next fall, students might be even more entrenched at their current schools.

Reopening Cedar was very much a pet project of a majority of school trustees from the start; for all intents and purposes, it’s the fulfillment of a campaign promise, one that was supported by voters. But district-wide, it’s creating an increasingly obvious double standard. It’s creating hypocrisy. Our well-meaning trustees are re-opening a sparsely populated school that will be riddled with programming gaps, and at the same time they’re considering closing schools in other parts of the city, suggesting it’s the only way to maintain programs for pupils there.

The school board chairman maintains Cedar will re-open, whatever its enrolment. We hope the school district is able to come up with creative ways to offer the courses students need for their post-secondary aspirations. What about electives? What about extracurriculars? Will there be enough students to field sports teams?

What we do know is that people in Cedar are getting their school back. We just hope it’s the school they remember, the one they want, and the one that’s best for the kids.

Just Posted

City in holding pattern following this week’s court ruling regarding Discontent City

City of Nanaimo’s legal counsel unsure when ruling will be made

Nanaimo’s VIEX country fair about to begin

Organizers, volunteers set for fair Aug. 17-19 at Beban Park

Former Nanaimo CAO Tracy Samra now working for First Nation in Vancouver

Ex-city manager listed as Musqueam chief administrative officer, according to NEB filing

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Citizens have right to protest tent city however they wish

Here’s a reality check to virtue signallers and social justice warriors, says letter writer

Nanaimo city councillor Bill Yoachim to leave municipal politics

Second-highest vote getter in previous civic election will not seek re-election in October

Kim XO is Black Press Media’s fashionista

Starting Sept. 7, stylist Kim XO will host Fashion Fridays on the Life channel on Black Press Meida

Beefs & Bouquets, Aug. 16

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

Minister optimistic after 2 days of Columbia River Treaty negotiations

Canadian and U.S. officials met in Nelson Wednesday and Thursday to discuss future of the treaty

Man dies in B.C. police cell while awaiting court hearing

An independent investigation is underway after a man died while in Penticton police custody Aug. 16

RCMP appeal for tips, dashcam footage in German tourist shooting west of Calgary

The Durango crashed into the ditch after the shooting near the Goodstoney Rodeo Centre

2 nurses attacked at B.C. psych hospital, union calls for in-unit security

PHSA says that in-unit guards would do more harm than good

Former B.C. optician won’t be jailed for sexually assaulting minor

Kenneth Pilkington sentenced to 24 months’ probation for offence three decades ago

Red Cross now accepting donations for those impacted by B.C. wildfires

The Canadian Red Cross is asking for help now and in the weeks and months ahead.

Most Read