News Bulletin

News Bulletin

COLUMN: After six years, it’s time for a new adventure

It’s been a privilege to work for the Nanaimo News Bulletin, says reporter Nicholas Pescod

Temporary.

It’s all I ever thought I’d be when I first walked through the doors here at the Nanaimo News Bulletin.

I was a 24-year-old back then. I’d just arrived from southern Ontario after agreeing to work as this paper’s arts reporter on a three-month contract.

On paper, it was just a temporary job and nothing more. In my mind, it was an opportunity, a chance to cut my teeth in a newsroom and prove to myself that I could handle the work even if it meant being let go anyway.

Six years and hundreds of articles later, I’m still with the News Bulletin, but not for much longer.

This is my last week with the newspaper that has given me so much. I’ve decided to take the next step in my career and will be starting a new role with CHEK News in Victoria later this month.

In these past six years, I’ve gone from being an arts reporter to arts editor to a general reporter responsible for covering some of the biggest news stories in our community.

Stories like the refugee effort, dysfunction at city hall, Discontent City, the federal ministers’ cabinet retreat and so much more.

I’ve been fortunate enough to share incredible stories like that of the Al Mansour family of Syrian refugees, interview celebrities I grew up seeing on television like Steve Martin and write about issues that matter to the community.

Not bad for someone who was hired on a temporary basis.

I wasn’t always perfect at my job. I made mistakes along the way, but I did my best to build relationships and hold people accountable, all while being fair and objective.

When I arrived in Nanaimo, I had no connection to it nor did I know anything about it. I’d really only ever passed through it, but I do remember as a kid asking my parents why never went to Nanaimo when we were lining up for the ferry. But after six years of living here, Nanaimo has become my home and a place that I will never forget.

This is the city where I spent the majority of my 20s. It’s where I got my very first apartment, made lifelong friends, learned to appreciate nature, created lasting memories, discovered more about myself as a person than anywhere else in the world and where my wife (Jannelle) and I began our married life together.

From walking along the waterfront after work or hanging out at Barney Moriez Park during our lunch break to geocaching through the city’s many parks, exploring Newcastle and Protection islands, tubing down the Nanaimo River, biking around town, playing board games at the local café, watching hockey games and admiring the surrounding beauty, Jannelle and I have loved it here.

Change, for the most part, is a good thing but it’s not easy and my decision to leave Nanaimo and the News Bulletin was one of the hardest I’ve had to make. However, it is time to begin a new chapter in life which means saying goodbye to this city and my amazing colleagues here at the paper.

It has truly been a privilege and an honour to live in Nanaimo and work for the News Bulletin.

I will never forget it.







nicholas.pescod@nanaimobulletin.com 
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram

 

Column

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

FOI records provided to the News Bulletin from the City of Nanaimo in 2018. (News Bulletin file photo)
Samra’s numerous FOI requests to City of Nanaimo aren’t ‘vexatious,’ privacy commissioner decides

Former CAO says records will assist her in a future B.C. Human Rights Tribunal hearing

Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence in Nanaimo. (News Bulletin file photo)
Two Nanaimo care-home residents have died during COVID-19 outbreak

Death reported Monday was the second related to Chartwell Malaspina outbreak, says Island Health

Eighteen-year-old Aidan Webber died in a marine accident in 2019. He was a Canadian Junior BMX champion from Nanaimo. (Submitted)
Inadequate safety training a factor in teen BMX star’s workplace death in 2019

Aidan Webber was crushed by a barge at a fish farm near Port Hardy

Nanaimo RCMP are seeking the public’s help after a man allegedly assaulted a clerk at James General Store on Victoria Road on Jan. 18. (Submitted photo)
Suspect screams at customer then assaults store clerk on Nanaimo’s Victoria Road

RCMP asking for information about Jan. 18 incident at James General Store

(Black Press Media files)
Transport Canada not budging on enclosed deck rules, despite calls from BC Ferries union

There have been at least 23 cases of the U.K. variant detected in Canada, four of which are in B.C.

Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin, vice-president of logistics and operations at the Public Health Agency of Canada, speaks at a news conference on the COVID-19 pandemic in Ottawa, on Friday, Jan. 15, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang
B.C. records 500 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday, 14 deaths

Outbreak at Surrey Pretrial jail, two more in health care

Vancouver Canucks’ Travis Hamonic grabs Montreal Canadiens’ Josh Anderson by the face during first period NHL action in Vancouver, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Horvat scores winner as Canucks dump Habs 6-5 in shootout thriller

Vancouver and Montreal clash again Thursday night

A woman writes a message on a memorial mural wall by street artist James “Smokey Devil” Hardy during a memorial to remember victims of illicit drug overdose deaths on International Overdose Awareness Day, in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver, on Monday, August 31, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. paramedics respond to record-breaking number of overdose calls in 2020

On the front lines, COVID-19 has not only led to more calls, but increased the complexity

Rod Bitten of Union Bay won $500,000 in the Lotto Max draw on Jan. 15. Photo supplied
Vancouver Island electrician gets shocking surprise with $500K Extra win

Rod Bitten has been hard at work with home renovations, which is… Continue reading

Rendering of two residential buildings proposed for the corner of Haliburton and Milton streets. (Matthew T. Hansen Architect image)
Two five-storey residential buildings approved for Haliburton Street

City council issues development permit for 79-unit complex at Haliburton and Milton

A suspect has been arrested in connection with fires at Drinkwater Elementary (pictured) and École Mount Prevost. (Kevin Rothbauer/Citizen)
Arson suspect arrested after fires at Cowichan Valley schools

Drinkwater Elementary and Mount Prevost schools hit within a week

Oyster River Fire Rescue members were called out to a suspicious fire in Black Creek. Two vehicles parked at a private residence were destroyed by fire. Photo courtesy Oyster River Fire Rescue
Suspicious fire destroys two vehicles at Vancouver Island residence

Oyster River Fire Rescue personnel were dispatched to a fire at a… Continue reading

Members of the BC RCMP Explosive Disposal Unit (EDU) is on route to Drummond Park opposite of Fulford Habour on Saltspring Island after the discovery of a suspicious cylindrical-shaped device. (Google/Screencap)
Bomb disposal unit en route to Salt Spring Island after suspicious device found in park

Police say a resident discovered the device Wednesday morning in Drummond Park opposite BC Ferries terminal

Seven streets in downtown Duncan, including Station Street, will soon have new native names added to their signage. (Submitted graphic)
New Duncan street signs will be in English and Hul’q’umi’num

Seven streets to get additional names in First Nations language

Most Read