Woman injured in cooking fire

A Nanaimo woman suffered minor burns to her hand and neck after trying to move a pot that was on fire in a Kennedy Street home Tuesday morning.

A Nanaimo woman suffered minor burns to her hand and neck after trying to move a pot that was on fire in a Kennedy Street home Tuesday morning.

Doug Bell, chief fire investigator with Nanaimo Fire Rescue, said the woman was cooking on the stove when the oil caught fire around 11:30 a.m.

She tried to move the pot off the element and burned herself in the process. Luckily, the burns were minor, but Bell said this incident should serve as a reminder to people not to try to move a pot that catches fire on the stove. Instead, turn the power off and cover the flames with a lid or damp cloth.