Renee Mayers, who lived at the Wesley Street encampment, speaks at a rally at Maffeo Sutton Park on Tuesday morning. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)

Renee Mayers, who lived at the Wesley Street encampment, speaks at a rally at Maffeo Sutton Park on Tuesday morning. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)

‘Wesley Warriors’ criticize City of Nanaimo for bulldozing camp

Former occupants of the Wesley Street encampment and advocates hold rally and march

People experiencing homelessness who lived in the Wesley Street encampment before last week’s fire say they lost possessions when the city moved to dismantle the camp.

A rally by the Wesley Warriors, a group made up of former residents of the camp and people who regularly accessed the space, happened Tuesday, Dec. 8. The rally was promoted by the Red Braid Alliance, formerly the Alliance Against Displacement group that founded Discontent City and led the Schoolhouse Squat at Rutherford School.

Those speaking at the press conference this morning disputed the City of Nanaimo’s contention that residents were given time to collect their belongings from Wesley Street after the Dec. 4 fire that burned up several tents.

“In the mess of destruction, people lost their IDs, family photos, personal belongings, and their homes,” the release noted. “The city’s cynical use of a fire to displace the Wesley street encampment continues a years-long cycle of displacement and terror against Nanaimo’s homeless population.”

Renee Mayers, 49, one of the Wesley Street encampment residents displaced when the city dismantled the camp, was one of two camp residents who spoke at the rally. She said she felt safe in the camp and argued that people need a stable site to live in where their basic needs can be met.

“We had access to water there. We had community. We had each others’ backs and now we have been thrown out to the wolves,” Mayers said. “I no longer feel safe.”

She said she has moved to Bowen Park where she’s forced by city bylaws to break camp at 9 a.m. each morning and set up her camp again every evening at 7 p.m.

“Have you guys seen what it’s like outside? Can you imagine having to get out of your tent when it’s pouring rain? I’ve got a dog, who I’ve had for about eight years, and I have to pick him up and put him outside of that tent, so I can unpack it and put it away, so the rest of Nanaimo doesn’t see that there’s a problem. I have a huge problem with that,” she said. “I’m so full of aches and pains. My hips. My back. My feet. The cold does not help and I’ll tell you being shoved out into it every day has actually diminished my life dramatically.”

story continues below

Mayers lost some belongings in the displacement, including her tent that she said was bulldozed by the city. Mayers said since the camp’s residents were dispersed there have been vigilantes beating up people experiencing homelessness and burning their tents and that the police force them out of areas they’re approved to be in by city bylaws.

“That didn’t happen on Wesley Street, but it’s happening out in the bushes … I’m not asking for more than the basics of living,” she said. “I’m begging Nanaimo to pull your heads out, so you can actually see what’s really going on here and how disgusting it is.”

Willie McGillivary said the city was wrong to disperse the campers and dispose of their tents.

“They did this at [Discontent City]. They did this now at Wesley Street. What are they going to do?” McGillivary said. “They tell the people to go. Go where? Go to another town? What’s that going to solve if you have the same problem in that town? … They’re not all on drugs. They’re good human beings, some of them – most of them … we need to help them. We need to have somewhere for them to go besides having to move every day.”

A statement from the City of Nanaimo last week noted that Nanaimo Fire Rescue issued an order to disperse residents and clear Wesley Street due to the “physical danger from the proximity of tents, fuel and heating sources at the fire scene.”

At Monday’s city council meeting, Mayor Leonard Krog, in his mayor’s report, spoke briefly about the fire at the encampment and said the city would have more to say at a later date about the decision to dismantle the camp.

“None of us wish to see our fellow citizens sleeping in the streets of this city, particularly in the winter,” he said.

READ ALSO: City dismantling Wesley Street homeless encampment after fire



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Homelessness

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Willie McGillivary speaks at a rally at Maffeo Sutton Park, saying there needs to be a place where people experiencing homelessness aren’t repeatedly asked to move along. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)

Willie McGillivary speaks at a rally at Maffeo Sutton Park, saying there needs to be a place where people experiencing homelessness aren’t repeatedly asked to move along. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)

Just Posted

Nanaimo-raised singer Allison Crowe with director Zack Snyder on the set of ‘Man of Steel’ in 2011. Crowe performs a cover of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah in the upcoming director’s cut of ‘Justice League.’ (Photo courtesy Clay Enos)
Nanaimo-raised singer records song for upcoming ‘Justice League’ film

Allison Crowe’s rendition of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah closes out the movie

The Gabriola Environmentally Responsible Trans-Island Express fleet will be able to move to a new depot facility after receiving more than $187,000 of community economic recovery infrastructure program money from the Province of B.C. (Submitted photo)
Gabriola bus system receives $188,000 from province for depot building

Old fire hall to be retrofitted and serve as new bus terminal thanks to COVID-19 recovery funding

A 50-year-old man was stabbed in an altercation that started with a disagreement about physical distancing. (File photo)
Argument about physical distancing leads to stabbing in Nanaimo

Suspect arrested on Gabriola Island an hour after incident Wednesday, Feb. 24

Submissions are open for Vancouver Island Regional Library’s new online arts and literature magazine, ‘Sea and Cedar.’ (Bulletin file photo)
Submissions sought for library’s new digital arts and literature publication

‘Sea and Cedar’ magazine an initiative of Nanaimo Harbourfront Library

Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools. (News Bulletin photo)
Bear seen at Park Avenue Elementary School field in Nanaimo

Students being advised to walk in groups and avoid the bushes

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C.’s COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature. (B.C. government)
B.C. reports 10 additional deaths, 395 new COVID-19 cases

The majority of new coronavirus infections were in the Fraser Health region

A BC Ferries worker out of Swartz Bay has tested positive for COVID-19. (Black Press Media file photo)
Swartz Bay ferry worker confirmed to have COVID-19

Employees in direct contact with worker now isolating

A Nanaimo RCMP vehicle in the Woodgrove Centre parking lot. (News Bulletin file photo)
Woman groped by stranger in mall parking lot in Nanaimo

Incident happened near bus loop Saturday, Feb. 20, at about 4:45 p.m.

(Black Press Media file photo)
B.C. residents can reserve provincial camp sites starting March 8

B.C. residents get priority access to camping reservations in province

Nanaimo’s Joanne Secord is a quarterfinalist in Inked Magazine’s Cover Model Search contest. (Janayh Wright Photography)
50-year-old Nanaimo mom hopes her tattoos will earn her a magazine cover shoot

Joanne Secord on cusp of semifinals in Inked Magazine contest

The Pacheedaht First Nation is planning a $1-million expansion to its campground in Port Renfrew. (Pixabay photo)
Expanded camping announced for Pacheedaht Campground

$1-million project is part of the B.C. Rural Economic Recovery program

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh holds a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
NDP will not trigger election as long as pandemic continues: Singh

‘“We will vote to keep the government going’

A health-care worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at a UHN COVID-19 vaccine clinic in Toronto on Thursday, January 7, 2021. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette)
Vaccinating essential workers before seniors in B.C. could save lives: experts

A new study says the switch could also save up to $230 million in provincial health-care costs

Nanaimo Courthouse. (News Bulletin file photo)
Motorist sentenced to two years for dangerous driving causing death on Gabriola Island

William Goosman pleaded guilty last fall in connection with incident that killed Jay Dearman

Most Read