Waste-to-energy facility partners fire up public outreach campaign

NANAIMO – Proponents of a potential waste-to-energy incinerator at Duke Point will fire up a major public outreach campaign in January.

Proponents of a potential waste-to-energy incinerator at Nanaimo’s Duke Point will fire up a major public outreach campaign this January.

Representatives with Wheelabrator Technologies, Urbaser and Seaspan announced last week they’re set to launch an intense public education campaign on a proposed waste-to-energy facility, from stakeholder presentations to building tours and a new website. It’s all aimed at sharing their side of the story on waste-to-energy technology, which they claim is “more than safe enough” and environmentally sound.

The project, proposed during Metro Vancouver’s site selection process, sparked concerns from residents and politicians about smell, pollution and possible health issues. The proponents have been urging Nanaimo to keep its door open to the concept, and thanks to a City of Nanaimo decision to do just that, they say they are ready to address concerns and help people make an informed decision on the proposed project.

Metro Vancouver announced the city as a possible contender for a waste-to-energy facility and has given the companies consent to do public outreach.

“It’s exciting and we are kind of looking forward to this,” said Mark Swartz of Wheelabrator. “It’s an uphill road for us on projects like this, but I have been doing this job for 26 years … and I have no problem looking in the mirror as a committed environmentalist and knowing how good these projects are overall.”

The outreach will include information from international studies, but proponents say it’s too early to do any local health, economic or environmental analysis.

Carla Stein, spokeswoman for Sierra Club’s Nanaimo chapter, questions a campaign without local data. When proponents say information campaign, “I am hearing propaganda,” she said. The club will launch its own campaign. The proponents’ website goes online in mid-January.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Adaptation, not blame, required in COVID-19 crisis

Analysis must be about finding out what happened and prevent it happening again, says letter writer

Downtown Nanaimo hotel shows love and appreciation for front-line workers

Coast Bastion illuminates windows in the shape of hearts, hopes other buildings do the same

Nanaimo-Ladysmith Schools Foundation finding new ways to feed students during COVID-19 pandemic

Hampers being delivered to those in need in Nanaimo-Ladysmith school district

Beefs & Bouquets, April 8

To submit a beef or bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Count in Nanaimo indicates 25 per cent increase in homelessness

Nanaimo Homeless Coalition’s count suggests at least 425 people experiencing homelessness

UPDATE: Canadians awake to extra COVID-19 emergency benefit money, feds clarify changes

The CRA and federal officials are working to clarify the confusion around payments

Controls can keep Canadian COVID-19 deaths under 22,000, health agency says

With poor containment measures, the death toll could be much, much higher, the agency says

People needing addictions services feel ‘abandoned’ during pandemic, B.C.’s ex-top doctor says

Widespread job losses and more homelessness due to physical distancing at shelters have added hurdles

Canada lost 1,011,000 jobs in March, unemployment rate up to 7.8%: StatCan

Unemployment rate hits levels not seen since 2010

COVID-19 world update: 6.6 million U.S. jobless claims; alcohol sales banned in Bangkok

Comprehensive digest of coronavirus news items from around the world

B.C. sorting medical equipment sales, donation offers for COVID-19

Supply hub has call out for masks, gowns, coronavirus swabs

B.C. records five more deaths due to COVID-19, 45 new cases

A total of 838 people have recovered from the virus

VIDEO: More than 85 people displaced by Campbell River apartment fire

Traffic is being diverted around Dogwood Street and 9th Avenue

Major crimes investigating sudden death of North Okanagan child

The 8 year old was flown to Kelowna General Hospital and died hours later

Most Read