Courthouse in Nanaimo. (News Bulletin file)

Warrant issued for man who wielded machete across from Nanaimo’s tent city last year

William Robert Francis Carrigan failed to appear in provincial court in Nanaimo on Tuesday

A warrant has been issued for a man involved in an altercation involving a knife and machete near a former homeless encampment in Nanaimo last summer.

An unendorsed warrant was issued for William Robert Francis Carrigan on Tuesday after he failed to show for an appearance in provincial court in Nanaimo. RCMP say Carrigan, along with Shane Edward Steinhauer, resided at the former tent city site at 1 Port Drive and were charged for numerous offences, stemming from the Aug. 3, 2018 incident, including assault with a weapon and possessing a weapon for dangerous purpose.

RELATED: Man in machete-wielding incident near tent city pleads guilty

RELATED: Tent city residents react to laser pointer with machete, arrested

According to RCMP, two carloads of people were parked across the street from the tent city, at Port Place Shopping Centre, shining laser pointers at residents. Carrigan and Steinhauer were said to have confronted the people, made threats and vandalized the vehicles and a small axe was found on Carrigan at the time of the arrest, said police.

Steinhauer’s next day in court is scheduled to be Sept. 17.


More from the News Bulletin on Facebook and Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: RDN’s essential services maintained during pandemic

Regional District of Nanaimo chairman thanks residents for co-operation and understanding

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Clarity on COVID-19 locations would help

Why can’t Island Health just say the city where cases occur, asks letter writer

Nanaimo bylaw officers on the lookout for COVID-19 control infractions

Bylaw and health officers watch for health order infractions, citizens can call in complaints

Nanaimo arenacross racer wins double championship

Sebastian Sulyok takes first overall on Futures West 85cc series

Nanaimo, Royal Jubilee to be Vancouver Island’s COVID-19 frontline hospitals

Other Island hospitals will be admitting COVID-19 patients and will be used in a support role

COLUMN: The other graph that shows B.C. can beat COVID-19

Is the curve being flattened? data on hospitalizations provides a crucial answer.

B.C. clears more acute hospital beds as COVID-19 case growth slows

Province holding about 40% of beds empty for peak still to come

Here’s how to talk to people who aren’t taking physical distancing seriously

Approach the conversation with empathy says conflict expert

Nanaimo will be the community hardest-hit by ferry layoffs, union says

B.C. Ferry and Marine Workers’ Union looking at its legal options

75-year-old woman rescued from Cowichan Lake

Victim taken to hospital, but expected to recover

Not to become bored the game plan for COVID-19

Board game with an Island map developed by Island family just the remedy for filling time at home

As 500K+ apply for emergency benefit, Trudeau says aid coming for Canadians left behind

Canada Emergency Response Benefit provides $2,000 per month

UPDATE: UK PM Boris Johnson moved to intensive care after COVID-19 symptoms worse

He has been quarantined in his Downing St. residence since being diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 26

Most Read