Curtis Wayne Sagmoen is escorted into a British Columbia Sheriff Service vehicle as rallier shout “No more stolen sisters” marking the end of the first day of his preliminary inquiry in Vernon Law Courts Monday, Oct. 22. (Parker Crook/Morning Star)

Date set for Sagmoen assault trial in Vernon

Curtis Wayne Sagmoen to stand trial on counts of assault and assault causing bodily harm in December

After two minutes in a quiet Vernon Supreme Court and more than two years after the assaults are alleged to have occurred, Curtis Wayne Sagmoen has time set aside for his third trial in Vernon.

Sagmoen was beamed into courtroom 301 by video Monday, Feb. 11 as Crown prosecutor Margaret Cissell and defence lawyer Lisa Jean Helps brought a trial date to Justice Gary Weatherill, who approved and read into record the seven-day trial commencing Dec. 9. A pre-trial conference is set for Oct. 29 at 9:30 a.m.

Further information stemming from Sagmoen’s pre-trial hearings is barred under a court-ordered publication ban.

A second seven-day trial on unrelated charges of disguising face with the intent to commit an offence, intentionally discharging a firearm while reckless, use of a firearm committing an indictable offence, uttering threats, possession of a controlled substance, careless use or storage of a firearm, pointing a firearm and possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose begins in Vernon Supreme Court Sept. 9.

Related: Sagmoen to stand trial

Related: Sagmoen saga continues into new year

At the end of 2018, Sagmoen was granted an absolute discharge on one count of mischief causing damage to property. Originally facing a charge of mischief $5,000 or under, Sagmoen pleaded guilty to the lesser included charge.

In an unrelated case stemming from a 2013 incident in Maple Ridge, Sagmoen pleaded guilty to assault and was sentenced to 30 days in jail and two years’ probation during a trial in Port Coquitlam earlier this month. The 38-year-old got time served on that file but remains in custody.



parker.crook@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Crews called to bush fires at Nanaimo’s Barsby Park

Nanaimo Fire Rescue attacked the fires from both sides of the Millstone River on Thursday night

Nanaimo Art Gallery exhibition aims to bridge generations

‘Across the Table’ features work that highlights artistic and cultural family connections

Dover Bay high school principal named an assistant superintendent

Don Balcombe, Dover Bay Secondary principal, to assume assistant super role effective August

Candidates face questions on Nanaimo doorsteps about supportive housing and crime

Federal candidates asked about social issues on campaign trail

Liberals say Nanaimo’s port important to economic diversification

Transport Minister Marc Garneau campaigned in Nanaimo-Ladysmith on Wednesday

Nanaimo’s A Cappella Plus choir presents gems from the ’60s and ’70s

‘Remember When’ show is Sunday, April 28, at the Shaw Auditorium

Beefs & Bouquets, April 25

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail bulletinboard@nanaimobulletin.com

VIDEO: B.C.’s waving granny gets incredible send-off from school kids

Tinney Davidson has been waving at students on their way to school for over 11 years, but is moving in a month

Struggling B.C. adoption agency elects new board that intends to keep it open

The previous board announced that Choices would close May 31

Island-born Snowbirds pilot enjoying homecoming in skies over Comox

Logan Reid once stood clinging onto the fence outside the Comox Air… Continue reading

Attack on student in Courtenay ‘way more than bullying’, says mom

A Comox Valley mother said “it was way more than bullying” at… Continue reading

Vancouver man, 19, charged in human trafficking case involving teen girl

The 16-year-old girl was reported missing and later discovered in Vancouver

First Nanaimo-Ladysmith all-candidates’ meeting is today

Six candidates expected to debate issues Thursday, April 25, at the Beban Park social centre

Most Read