Nanaimo bars. (News Bulletin file photo)

U.K. press wonders if Nanaimo bars lured Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to Canada

‘Prince Harry’s favourite snack revealed,’ trumpets tabloid

Nanaimo bars are so good they’re fit for royalty.

Nanaimo’s signature treat has been making headlines in the U.K. this week after they were spotted on a dessert tray at Canada House in London on Jan. 7 after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s visit to Vancouver Island.

“Were Prince Harry and Meghan Markle lured to Canada by chocolate treats?” asked a headline in the Daily Mail. “Diplomats reveal Royals loved coconut and custard-based Nanaimo bars served at embassy so much they even asked to take a plate home with them.”

Hello Magazine went one further: “Prince Harry’s favourite snack revealed – and it’s from Canada,” read a headline in the tabloid today, Jan. 18, citing former royal chef Darren McGrady.

The chef responded via social media that he wasn’t sure he ever actually said Nanaimo bars were the Duke of Sussex’s all-time fave, but did recall the princes enjoying them in their youth.

“Prince Harry is no stranger to Nanaimo bars. I used to make them (the Buckingham Palace recipe we got when The Queen visited Canada in 1983) for him and William at Kensington Palace when they had friends over,” McGrady posted on social media.

Both tabloids detail the Nanaimo bar’s layers, with Hello describing the dessert as “delicious-sounding.” The Mail reports that Nanaimo bars “are produced in the small city of the same name.”

READ ALSO: Nanaimo bars served at White House state dinner

READ ALSO: Nanaimo bar stamp makes it into Nanaimo Museum

READ ALSO: Tourism Nanaimo invites celebrities to sample ‘real’ Nanaimo bars

READ ALSO: McDonald’s introduces Nanaimo bar McFlurry

READ ALSO: Vancouver Island Brewing puts Nanaimo bar on tap

Shortly after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s visit to Vancouver Island, the couple announced they wished to step aside as senior royals and live part-time in North America.

Buckingham Palace announced Saturday that Harry and Meghan will no longer use the titles “royal highness” or receive public money and will no longer be considered working members of the royal family as of this spring They will continue to be known as Harry, Duke and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and Harry will remain a prince and sixth in line to the British throne.

READ ALSO: Premier says he’s excited about Harry and Meghan possibly moving to B.C.

READ ALSO: Meghan Markle visits women’s shelter in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Nanaimo pianist and future doctor honoured for ‘excellence in culture’

Devon Joiner is among this year’s City of Nanaimo Culture and Heritage Award winners

Volunteers on Vancouver Island checking in on seniors during pandemic

United Way reports 2,600 phone check-ins and 1,300 ‘virtual visits’

Nanaimo mayor, in his work as a lawyer, named in lawsuit over client’s will

Leonard Krog administrator of an estate being challenged under the Wills, Estates and Succession Act

B.C. Ferries says Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay sailings filling up fast

Tsawwassen-Duke Point may be a better alternative between June 4 and 7, says ferry corporation

UPDATE: Missing teen quickly located

Caregivers had been worried about 18-year-old’s safety

March dental conference key to many of B.C.’s COVID-19 cases

Early infections from China, Iran were quickly contained

Beefs & Bouquets, June 3

To submit a beef or a bouquet to the Nanaimo News Bulletin, e-mail editor@nanaimobulletin.com

MAP: Dr. Henry reveals which B.C. regions have seen most COVID-19 cases

B.C. health officials release a first look at how the novel coronavirus has reached all corners of the province

North Island recreation camping site closed due to vandalism

Damage happens every year, forcing site manager to reallocate improvement budget to repairs

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation woman, 26, fatally shot by police in Edmundston, N.B.

Police were conducting a well-being check at the time of the incident

Seniors to receive up to $500 in promised COVID-19 emergency aid in early July

The Liberal government first promised the extra help in mid-May, but had to create a new system to deliver the aid

VIDEO: Revelstoke bear wanders into Animal House pet store

Staff got ready to chase it out with a broom

280-unit development in Lantzville will proceed to public hearing

Mayor says Clark/Medd properties affect municipality’s future

Most Read