Trio of blazes keep firefighters busy

NANAIMO – Minor fires in north and south Nanaimo keep firefighters on the move throughout the weekend.

Fire prevention officers were investigating the aftermath of three minor structure fires that happened over the weekend.

A fire in a clothes dryer, that started shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday, got snuffed out quickly with little damage in the 4300 block of Gulfview Drive in north Nanaimo.

Umesh Lal, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said it was fortunate residents were home to notice the blaze before it became a serious issue.

Capt. Ennis Mond said Monday morning he was waiting for the RCMP to finish looking into a small rubbish fire that started in an apartment at 53 Nicol St. on Sunday at about 2:30 p.m. The blaze was small and out by the time firefighters arrived.

“There was a bunch of rubbish – trash – that was ready to go outside that was on fire,” Mond said. “We haven’t gone through it yet, but there’s other extenuating circumstances why the RCMP are involved.”

No injuries were reported from that incident.

Sgt. Sheryl Armstrong, Nanaimo RCMP spokeswoman, said in an e-mail that the fire was suspicious and the investigation is ongoing.

A fire on at 156 View St. shortly after 6 p.m. Sunday caused fire and smoke damage to a kitchen in a home at 156 View St.

Mond said the fire appeared to be an accidental cooking fire in a frying pan on a gas stove.

The resident who put out the fire before firefighters arrived was treated at the scene by paramedics for minor smoke inhalation.