UPDATE: Police seeking suspects after abducted Toronto teen found safe, police say

UPDATE: Police seeking suspects after abducted Toronto teen found safe, police say

Police believe Shammah Jolayemi may have been abducted in the northwest part of the city

A 14-year-old boy abducted from a Toronto street as payback for his stepbrother’s alleged criminal activity has been safely reunited with his family, the city’s police chief said Friday as he appealed for the public’s help in the case.

Mark Saunders said no arrests have yet been made in the boy’s disappearance, which lasted for more than 36 hours and triggered an Amber Alert.

He provided few details of how the teen was ultimately located, but said officers found him in the city of Brampton, Ont., well northwest of his home.

Saunders said the boy, who looked “dishevelled” when he was found, was taken to hospital for a checkup before being reunited with his family. He said the boy was safe despite the fact that his alleged abductors are still at large.

“He probably will be the most watched young man in the city of Toronto right now,” the chief said at a news conference. “So you’d have to be more than a fool to try to apprehend him or cause any harm to his family.”

Saunders offered no particulars on suspects in the case, including descriptions or the number of people police are seeking. But he reiterated the allegation that the abduction was carried out as retribution for a massive “cocaine heist” allegedly executed by the teen’s stepbrother.

Investigators have said the man allegedly stole nearly 100 kilograms of cocaine in the summer of 2019, valuing the heist at close to $4 million.

Saunders said the teen at the centre of the abduction was an innocent party with no connection to any criminal activity.

The boy went missing at around 8:30 Wednesday morning, police said, noting witnesses reported hearing him cry for help as he was bundled into a Jeep Wrangler.

Saunders said the burned-out vehicle was found later that night near the town of Caledon, Ont., northwest of the city.

Police launched an investigation based on reports of the teen’s plea for help, but the incident was not connected to an alleged abduction until his parents reported him missing shortly after 5:30 p.m.

The boy’s high school failed to notify his family of his day-long absence sooner because his teachers missed an attendance reporting deadline, the Toronto District School Board said.

Spokesman Ryan Bird said four staff members at the boy’s northwest Toronto high school have been put on “home assignment” because their attendance data wasn’t submitted before 11 a.m. as required.

“We’re looking to confirm details right now, but what is clear is that attendance was not entered as it should have been,” Bird said.

The Amber Alert was issued at around midnight on Thursday, triggering a widespread search involving multiple police forces.

Police had previously said that the alleged abductors had been in communication with the force, but Saunders said Friday that was not the case.

He also said the stepbrother, who he said has left the Toronto-area and may even have fled the province, has provided “limited co-operation.”

Saunders said public help will be needed to identify suspects and urged anyone to come forward with any information they may have.

“This investigation’s not done yet,” he said. “I want these people that are involved. And I think there’s a great opportunity to reach the goal line with this particular investigation.”

The Canadian Press


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Amber Alert

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Nanaimo city council voted unanimously Monday to pass a bylaw establishing the foundation for a new downtown business improvement association. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
City of Nanaimo adopts bylaw to create new downtown business improvement association

Chamber of commerce says next steps will be a board of directors and five-year strategic plan

Nanaimo-Ladysmith school district teachers’ union, and its counterparts from Mount Arrowsmith district, seek stricter COVID-19 rules. (News Bulletin file)
Nanaimo-Ladysmith teachers’ union asks health authority for stricter COVID-19 measures

Teachers ask for vaccine, more online learning, mask mandate for primary students

B.C. Finance Minister Selina Robinson outlines the province’s three-year budget in Victoria, April 20, 2021. (B.C. government video)
B.C. deficit to grow by $19 billion for COVID-19 recovery spending

Pandemic-year deficit $5 billion lower than forecast

Chakalaka Bar & Grill remains open in defiance of orders from Island Health to close. (Cole Schisler photo)
Island Health seeks injunction against restaurant defying COVID-19 orders

VIHA says Chakalaka Bar and Grill also violating water and sewer regulations with RV hook-ups

Nanaimo Fire Rescue investigator Mark Jonah probes the scene of a blaze that destroyed two apartments on Sunday, April 18. The cause of the blaze has not been determined. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
UPDATE: RCMP say Wakesiah Avenue fire was arson, suspect has been arrested

35-year-old man arrested for allegedly starting fire lived in the complex

A man pauses at a coffin after carrying it during a memorial march to remember victims of overdose deaths in Vancouver. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. announces historic half-billion-dollar funding for overdose crisis, mental health

Of it, $152 million will be used to address the opioid crisis and see the creation of 195 new substance use treatment beds

Children’s backpacks and shoes are seen at a CEFA (Core Education and Fine Arts) Early Learning daycare franchise, in Langley, B.C., on Tuesday May 29, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. budget to expand $10-a-day child care, but misses the mark on ‘truly universal’ system

$111 million will be used to fund 3,750 new $10-a-day spaces though 75 additional ChildCareBC universal prototype sites over the next three years.

The City of Nanaimo will further investigate an initiative to set up two 12-cabin sites to create transitional emergency housing for people experiencing homelessness. (Black Press file photo)
City of Nanaimo will ask for expressions of interest to operate tiny cabin sites

Staff expresses concern about workload, councillor says sheltering people must take priority

Ambulance paramedic in full protective gear works outside Lion’s Gate Hospital, March 23, 2020. Hospitals are seeing record numbers of COVID-19 patients more than a year into the pandemic. (The Canadian Press)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infection rate declines, 849 cases Tuesday

Up to 456 people now in hospital, 148 in intensive care

Christy Clark, who was premier from 2011 to 2017, is the first of several present and past politicians to appear this month before the Cullen Commission, which is investigating the causes and impact of B.C.’s money-laundering problem over the past decade. (Darryl Dyck/Canadian Press)
Christy Clark says she first learned of money-laundering spike in 2015

The former B.C. premier testified Tuesday she was concerned the problem was ‘apparently at an all-time high’

Police executed a search warrant at the Devils Army Clubhouse on Petersen road in Campbell River on August 10, 2017.
Murder trial into 2016 Campbell River killing underway in Victoria

Ricky Alexander is charged with the first-degree murder of John Dillon Brown

Pat Kauwell, a semi-retired construction manager, lives in his fifth-wheel trailer on Maxey Road because that’s what he can afford on his pension, but a Regional District of Nanaimo bylaw prohibits using RVs as permanent dwellings, leaving Kauwell and others like him with few affordable housing options. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
Housing crunch or not, it’s illegal to live in an RV in Nanaimo

Regional District of Nanaimo bylaw forcing pensioner to move RV he calls home off private farm land

Most Read