Tenant escapes Nanaimo house fire thanks to smoke alarms

NANAIMO - Weekend bedroom fire due to smoking in home for brain
-injured clients.

Smoke alarms helped ensure a tenant escaped unharmed from a fire in a basement bedroom on the weekend.

The fire happened in a residence for brain-injured tenants in the 1800 block of Sherwood Drive shortly before 7 p.m. Friday.

Alan Millbank, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer, said in an e-mail the fire was accidental and caused by smoking.

There was only one person in the residence when the fire broke out.

Firefighters limited the fire damage to the bedroom and there is minor smoke and water damage to the suite.

“The individual escaped because there were two working smoke alarms that activated and the quick response of the care staff at the site,” Millbank said.